1. On August 16th at 9pm CST, the site will be put in to read only mode for maintenance. Maintenance should not take longer than an hour.

Making a cylindrical staircase

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Dain, Aug 16, 2014.

1. Dain

Dain L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    The capture point on my KOTH map is on a cylindrical dais and I want to have some stairs leading up to it. Problem is I don't know how to do the brushwork to get what I want. I know I could in theory use the arch tool to get a bunch of thin concentric strips for each step, but that sounds like hell on earth for getting the vertices to align right. Is there a quicker way?

Here's a crappy pic of what I mean:

[​IMG]

2. A Boojum Snark

aa A Boojum Snark Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado

Positive Ratings:
    Careful use of the arch tool is what I would do. If the dimensions and number of sides of the circle are nice numbers (powers of 2) it shouldn't be too difficult.

Alternatively, just cut the wedge out of the circle and "best guess" at the stairs using vertex manipulation.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. A Boojum Snark

aa A Boojum Snark Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado

Positive Ratings:
    I was in the mood to mess around with it and your use of dev grids made your dimensions obvious.
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/98931/circlestairs.zip

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/98931/pics/circlestairs.PNG
    After creating the pieces I noticed the verts of B didn't line up with the edge of A. So I sliced A so both wedges and the stairs could all meet up at point C (less than half a unit adjustment) nicely since it is a visible joint that would look ugly if it isn't sewn up.
    The stairs themselves didn't line up perfect with the bounding walls because of the sizes used, but VMing the verts into the wall won't cause any visible issues and this will all be func_detail anyway.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Dain

Dain L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    Thank you so much!