Making a custom skybox question.

level 100 pidgey

L1: Registered
May 28, 2017
What is this menu supposed to look like when creating the .vtfs for a skybox? I believe I've done everything else correctly but in-game it shows as purple and black checkers.

FKI3OKN.png

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
Specifically, incorrect VTF directory/filename in your VMT, since being unable to find the VMTs altogether will just give you the trippy nodraw sky thing.

Mar 23, 2013
unrelated to your problem, but change "Alpha format" to DXT1. DXT5 is the same format but with an alpha channel. Since you're probably not using an alpha channel for a skybox texture, your vtf will have bigger file size without any benefit.
Only set it to DXT5 when you need an alpha channel, like a transparent texture or when you use something like $selfillum. Otherwise use DXT1 for lower file size.

Also a skybox texture doesn't need mipmaps I believe. Even more kbits saved~

Last edited:

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
Doesn't the fact that there are options for both in the dialog box mean "use this format if there's an alpha channel in the source image and that format if there's not"? That's how I'd always interpreted it.

Mar 23, 2013
Doesn't the fact that there are options for both in the dialog box mean "use this format if there's an alpha channel in the source image and that format if there's not"? That's how I'd always interpreted it.

This is not false, however an image that isn't transparent can still have an alpha channel you aren't aware of. Often when I open png images in a image editing tool, it has an alpha channel despite not having any transparent areas. Unless you remove the alpha channel in your software, VTFEdit will compile the alpha channel too!

Since I believe more people know what an alpha channel is than people who know how to remove them in an editing programm I just recommend setting option for alpha to DXT1 in VTFEdit when compiling a untransparent image.

This actually just reminded me of thread about Watergate textures! @Bakscratch made the same mistake, though he ignored my advice :I https://tf2maps.net/threads/watergate-models-textures-and-overlays.23922/

Last edited: