Make areas darker?

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by fbi.bmw.ultra.car, May 14, 2019.

1. fbi.bmw.ultra.car

fbi.bmw.ultra.car L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    Hello, is here any way to make parts of your map darker? Like dark forest you can wall through.
    I tried func_dustcloud but thats not working very well. :/

2. Werewolf

aa Werewolf Probably not a real Werewolf

Positive Ratings:
    Um..... less light entities? Lower their brightness settings? The 4th number in the 'color' setting controls brightness:
    Code:
     <red> <green> <blue> <brightness>

3. Jeff Magnum

Jeff Magnum L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    the nodraw texture blocks light reaching whatever's behind it, but that may be too crude a solution. If you want realistic dark areas I'd suggest using a very dim light_environment and then extensively lighting wherever you don't want to be dark.

4. fbi.bmw.ultra.car

Positive Ratings:
    I dont have any light entities there, idk if it will work with lowering brightness

5. Narpas

aa Narpas Failing at Scaling

Positive Ratings:
    You can make light entities cast "dark" light by setting the colour values to black or something similar, if I'm not mistaken. You can also use the blocklight texture to block light, which will probably look more realistic

6. fbi.bmw.ultra.car

Positive Ratings:
    is the texture nodraw or how is it called?

7. Jeff Magnum

Jeff Magnum L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    The blocklight texture is probably better than nodraw since it's not solid, though both will block light

8. Werewolf

aa Werewolf Probably not a real Werewolf

Positive Ratings:
    If you don't have any light entities there and it's still too bright, then either your env_lighting is too bright or you don't have any lights whatsoever and what you're seeing is actually mat_fullbright.

Can you confirm which this is?

• Agree Agree x 2