make a hole in the displacement

gommi

L2: Junior Member
Jun 18, 2015
I want to create a section to put a room where the nodraw block is:
O36zKe6.png

the problem is that i don't knwo how to create a cut that keep the displacement correctly.
carving the block result in this:
X2dbSyD.png

as you see the displacement become abig mess.

how could i do ?

Vel0city

func_fish
aa
Dec 6, 2014
You'll have to recreate that displacement with the room's size in mind. That way you can have the displacement's vertex points lined up so the whole thing will sew correctly. Cutting in displacements will mess up those vertex points which results in you not being able to sew the displacements together.

gommi

Jun 18, 2015
i tried to to create the room section before creating a displacement but the problem is that the vertex points wont be aligned so if i create my displacement there would be some holes

LeSwordfish

semi-trained quasi-professional
aa
Aug 8, 2010
Unfortunately there isn't an easy answer to this: the displacement needs to be remade to fit to the block.

That shouldnt be too difficult though: you can break it into smaller chunks like this:

img

This can't be done by cutting or carving the displacement, unfortunately - displacements just don't work that way. You have to convert them back into blocks, slice up the blocks, and then turn the outer faces back into displacements.

(P.S. don't use "Carve" in general - it breaks up blocks badly and does strange things. Use the clipping tool :clippingtool: instead.)

gommi

Jun 18, 2015
i made it by simplyfing the parts first with a vertical cut and than with orizionat, that gave me less blocks to displace and i made it quite good.
WbIyE4H.png