Mac fanboys (and girl) get ready to cream your pants!

Apr 19, 2009
Valve sent word five minutes ago that the public release of Steam for the Mac will be on May 12. No other details were included in the statement.

Originally due for release sometime in April, there was, of course, less than two days left to make that deadline. Valve gave no reason for the delay.

Steam for the Mac will bring with it Left 4 Dead 2, Team Fortress 2, Counter-Strike, Portal and the Half-Life series.
http://kotaku.com/5527672/valve-dates-steam-for-mac-its-may-12

Nov 14, 2009
Wow. Some of my friends will be happy.

I wonder if it has anything to do with last nights weirdo update.

Prepare for an influx of noobs. And M1 pyros. Do macs have a right click now?

Freyja

aa
Jul 31, 2009
Macs have always had right click. Just not on their mice for god knows why. The OS had right click if you got a right-clicking mouse though.

And I'm assuming I'm that girl, so yay! Mac steam!

Terr

Cranky Coder
aa
Jul 31, 2009
I'm guessing this will NOT include all the Source SDK stuff?

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
macs.jpg

Lol, gets me every time.

Terr

Cranky Coder
aa
Jul 31, 2009
:facepalm: The VERY first time Valve spoke about it they specifically said Mac users will be able to make content for the games like all their PC friends.
I know, and that does not equate to having it available immediately on launch. They enumerated several applications which would be available, and "Source SDK" wasn't among them.

HeaH

L8: Fancy Shmancy Member
Oct 2, 2008
They are porting the entire Steam engine to mac, so there would be no reason for them not to make Source SDK too

Terr

Cranky Coder
aa
Jul 31, 2009
They are porting the entire Steam engine
You mean the Source engine? I'm not sure how much overlap there is between the two such that Hammer etc. is a small marginal cost.

Freyja

aa
Jul 31, 2009
Sums up macs. Why have one button when everyone else has 3 minimum?

They DON'T have only one button. I don't know how many people I've had to explain this too but macs have had right click since the 90's. Their mice look like only one button, but in reality they have about 5. And it has full any-direction scroll, which is more than a lot of windows mice.
As for the laptops, yes, the entire trackpad is one button. But you can map whatever button you want to wherever you want on that trackpad. I bet you can't do that on 90% of windows laptops.

Last edited:

lana

Currently On: ?????
aa
Sep 28, 2009
I read the title wrong and thought that other people were preparing to cream my pants. Then I read it again. I cannot unthink.

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
They DON'T have only one button. I don't know how many people I've had to explain this too but macs have had right click since the 90's. Their mice look like only one button, but in reality they have about 5. And it has full any-direction scroll, which is more than a lot of windows mice.
As for the laptops, yes, the entire trackpad is one button. But you can map whatever button you want to wherever you want on that trackpad. I bet you can't do that on 90% of windows laptops.

Still can't click left and right buttons at once with the default mouse. But we've been over that already and I did mention you can map secondary fire to squeeze. And that I hope they map building/disguise selection to horizontal scroll (or someone comes up with a script for it).

HeaH

L8: Fancy Shmancy Member
Oct 2, 2008
You mean the Source engine? I'm not sure how much overlap there is between the two such that Hammer etc. is a small marginal cost.

Yeah, I meant the Source engine. Stupid brainfarts.