PL Lurence

Discussion in 'Map Factory' started by Vincent, Jan 5, 2012.

1. Vincent

aa Vincent 🔨 Grandmaster Lizard Wizard Jedi 🔨

Positive Ratings:
    My contest entry for the 7th Major Contest "Dynamic" Payload.

Just making the thread right now to reserve my name and share my idea. I don't really have anything worth showing at the moment past a few detailing idea's, I seem to be stuck on my blocking. It's slow going but I'll get there!

Also as a fun note this is my 500th post. Also I hit 1337 hours in the source SDK

Dynamic Element
    My idea's to have a normal ol' pl_ map with turntables and such, but at some points the cart will reach a fork in the tracks where it'll decide which direction to go. For example, for the first few tracks it'll be a straight path, but suddenly the tracks splits off into a tunnel and a cliff. The cart, when it reaches this fork, will randomly decide which way to go. At the end of the tunnel and the cliff the cart tracks will reunite into a capture point. One path won't stray too far from the other path and I think balancing shouldn't be to hard in terms of travel time. It's all a matter of using relatively the same amount of pieces.

2. Tekku

aa Tekku

Positive Ratings:
    By the end of the contest, when you will submit the map you will hit your 1000th post and 2674 hours in SDK.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  3. Vincent

Positive Ratings:
    [​IMG]

I realize one path is longer, but it's not going to be very hard for blue to push to the first CP anyway. Besides I have two routes for a reason, I want one to be inherently harder. Not impossible, but a bit more of a push. The way I have RED setup is going to be make it really hard to defend anyway for CP1. Unless anyone has a different theory?

If the gameplay proves me wrong I'll go back to the theory crafting. So what does everyone think of that?

4. tyler

aa tyler snail prince, master of a ruined tower

Positive Ratings:
    I can't remember what the problem is with branching paths: different number of path_tracks or literal HU length. Either way, it will really mess up the HUD going one direction, fyi. Kind of in a game breaking way.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Vincent

Positive Ratings:
    I've got a few idea's for work arounds, if I can't get it to work I have a few backup idea's. Thanks for the warning, I didn't consider the hud.

6. Sergis

aa Sergis L666: ])oo]v[

Positive Ratings:
    i think it'll just push the cart back on hud a little bit if the longer path is the alternate branch/forward if its the shorter one.

7. tyler

Positive Ratings:
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2012
  8. AngryAngus

AngryAngus L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    Each track needs to have the same amount of path_tracks.

9. Vincent

Positive Ratings:
    Hmm, the way he has it setup is you're able to choose the path. Maybe if I set it up so it's just random, it may fix it? I'll work on getting a proof of concept up pretty soon. If it doesn't work I'll just scrap it and work with the other idea's I have.

10. tyler

Positive Ratings:
    As far as I know (Booj correct me), the HUD is created on compile, not map start. So while the situation in the video is different, one of your routes will always have the same issue.

11. Another Bad Pun

Server Staff Another Bad Pun bap

Positive Ratings:
    ^^^ This may work, but hammer may also account for the distance the paths are from each other. I don't know for sure, but I would give this a try.