Resource icon

CP Luna A1

juan desire

L1: Registered
Dec 31, 2016
Luna - early development 5cp map with a focus on making attack easier than defence

My first 5cp map. Designed experimentally by raising the elevation of the map towards the spawns (basically the reverse of the standard high midpoint, lower 2nd, and even lower last). The aim is to see how some different map design could affect the flow of the game in 6v6, by generally trying to make pushing into every point easier than defending it.
20190413151420_1.jpg

lucrative

Dec 28, 2018
Hi there!

I saw you were looking to balance this map around 6v6 so i decided to take a look, you can follow my other testing here https://tf2maps.net/threads/esea-invite-player-lucratives-new-map-testing-for-6v6.38362/

The theme your deciding on here is being aggressive and attacking consistently gains you the advantage. While ive only take a look around the map, I believe you have done the opposite.

A ton of areas in this map are a nightmare to push, overly convoluted height structures that are placed right over top of very long open hallways. combined with the fact a lot of the heights you have included in the map are only accessible to soldiers and scouts, which in general is not a theme you want reoccurring at multiple junctures in your map. You want to have a good flow between areas and you most definitely want demoman and medics to be able to access critical areas of the map easily as well.

I made a small video going over some of the points in more detail

View: https://youtu.be/FGAVs4W4oEM

juan desire

Dec 31, 2016
Thanks for the feedback! This isn't my first map, but it's my first 5cp map. The scale of the map is definitely far too large as a whole which I think is going to make adjustments really difficult, so I'm probably going to scrap this and rebuild a map from scratch while trying to implement some of the stuff you talked about. Things like the huge valley and oversized lobby were something I had been trying to remedy but I was running into dead ends because of how large the basic structure of the map and points is. I don't have too much free time to devote to mapping, so I move pretty slowly, but when I get some progress made on my next map I'll definitely be asking you for some help.