Low res logic entities?

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by s0da72, Aug 28, 2013.

1. s0da72

s0da72 L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    I'm not sure how or when this changed but in the 3D view window logic entities show up fuzzy like they are low resolution or something.

[​IMG]

Is there an option to change this behavior?

:confused:

2. A Boojum Snark

aa A Boojum Snark Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado

Positive Ratings:
    steamapps\common\team fortress 2\bin\dxsupport.cfg

Search for "picmip" and locate Convar.mat_picmip under the 14 group and lower it to -1. (I am assuming you don't have an ancient video car with less than 256 MB of vram, in which case it would be group 12 or 13)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Bombcartography

Bombcartography L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Looks like the recent update caused this. I had to update TF2 to test a map I'm working on and when I came back to Hammer, everything was blurry. Not just the entities but also the textures and props.

4. s0da72

s0da72 L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    My video cards is a couple of years old, hopefully that is not an issue. GTX 580 with 1.5GB memory.

very strange, it doesn't affect anything when building the map.

5. Pocket

aa Pocket func_croc

Positive Ratings:
    Looks like most textures were affected by this. Oddly enough, color_correction's icon was not.

Funny that mat_picmip 0, the default setting, is causing this. In the game itself it would be the equivalent of "High" texture quality, would it not?

6. A Boojum Snark

Positive Ratings:
    As far as I know 0 is still not un-mipmaped, not sure what they equate to in the menu. The CC icon not being affected is because that VTF has no mipmips (should be how all icons/hud/vgui textures are).

7. Crash

aa Crash func_nerd

Positive Ratings:
    Would there have to be a refresh of some kind before this change would take effect? I changed it to -1 and loaded up hammer but everything was still blurry.

8. A Boojum Snark

Positive Ratings:
    hmm, dunno. I actually haven't tried it lately and my computer with hammer on it is out of commission for a week or two so I can't test it.

9. Egan

aa Egan

Positive Ratings:
    I had it happen to me the other day as well, and I did the -1, reloaded hammer, was blurry, was like 'shit' and then the next time after that I loaded up hammer it was all fixed. so maybe try just reloading hammer some more. :p

10. Crash

aa Crash func_nerd

Positive Ratings:
    So I waited a few days and a few resets, still blurry. :bored:

11. luxatile

aa luxatile deer

Positive Ratings:
    I set mat.picmip to -1 in group 14 and it didn't work, but then I set it to -1 in like... 12, 13 and probably some others too, and it worked. Yay.

12. Crash

aa Crash func_nerd

Positive Ratings:
    Changed 13 last night and it didn't work, but today I booted up and everything is crisp again.

Not sure if it was the update or the change I made. Either way, it's working now!

13. Seba

aa Seba DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD

Positive Ratings:
    Changing groups 12 and 13 fixed this for me, whereas 13 alone didn't. Do both just in case I suppose.