Louder Ambient Genaric

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by MegapiemanPHD, Nov 20, 2015.

1. MegapiemanPHD

aa MegapiemanPHD Doctorate in Deliciousness

Positive Ratings:
    This question has probably been asked many times but I couldn't find the answer so I'll pose it again. I'm setting up some custom voice lines in a map to inform players on where to go BUT any time I've tried to do so previously, the lines end up being too quiet for anyone to hear. How do I make them louder?

2. killohurtz

aa killohurtz Distinction in Applied Carving

Positive Ratings:
    Quick and dirty solution is to use multiple ambient_generics that play their sounds at the same time. Alternately, since your sound files are custom and they'll need to be packed anyway, you could increase their volume with some external program.

3. MegapiemanPHD

aa MegapiemanPHD Doctorate in Deliciousness

Positive Ratings:
    The volume is to the point of having the audio peak and it's still too low.

4. Crash

aa Crash func_nerd

Positive Ratings:
    All my voice lines and music on Trainsawlaser/ wubwubwub are 3-4 ambient generics playing at the same time. It adds up fast of you have a lot of different clips, though.

5. Muddy

Server Staff Muddy Muddy

Positive Ratings:
    If you feel like getting into audio editing, you can use compression to make sound files louder without distorting them.

6. YM

aa YM LVL100 YM

Positive Ratings:
    I'd advise using a soundscript instead of ambient generics.

Voicelines should be played everywhere at once, furthermore by using soundscripts you can play a voiceline to a single team at a time which an ambient generic cannot do.

Another feature of soundscripts is the ability to prevent other sounds playing over the top. If there's any danger of two playing at once, only one will (essential for announcer lines) by using "channel" "CHAN_VOICE2" an ambient generic CAN do this, but only if it plays from a soundscript

Set up your soundscript, then send PlayVO to your tf_gamerules with the name of the sound. PlayVOBlue/PlayVORed for team specific lines

Info here about making the script:
    http://tf2maps.net/threads/psa-oh-no-valve-made-some-voicelines-mp3s-soundscripts-and-you.24896/

Further recommended reading (inc all the volume levels):
    https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Soundscripts

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. ics

aa ics http://ics-base.net

Positive Ratings:
    Should also be noted that some soundscapes will override the ambient_generic sounds completely. So basically you hear only the soundscape instead of the ambient_generic, unless you are like right in top of it, if at all.

8. henke37

aa henke37

Positive Ratings:
    Soundscript, not soundscape.

9. YM

aa YM LVL100 YM

Positive Ratings:
    @Crash Just a thought, what non-letter characters are you using in your filenames?