Lots of free 3D models for your maps!

(s2a) yahodahan

L3: Member
Apr 22, 2009
Hi all-

I am working on building/prototyping a "3D Hub" concept, essentially a knockoff of "TurboSquid"- except geared directly for independent game modders, modelers, coders, devs, and all you others in that general category :)

On this "marketplace" you could scroll through all the uploaded models, view them in REALTIME 3D, see how they look with different materials, render modes, change the lighting, etc- all right in the browser. Essentialy the Hammer Model Viewer- online, and all custom models.

(I've already gone ahead and purchased the game engine to do this, check out Unity 3D!)

The big thing I want to promote is a FREE library of models that the whole community can use, swap, trade, and enjoy! Also very important, the artists who are so kind as to give away these models will get plenty of credit and recognition for their generosity and (undoubtedly) mad skillz!

There will also be the option to sell and buy models on the site, but I am hoping the majority will be people willing to give theirs out for free. After all, this is TF2maps.net!

I'm using a lot of exclamation points! (!) I'm excited to see if I get support for this!

I am also appealing to a number of other game modding sites, but as a former TF2 modder, I know TF2maps.net has always been (to me, at least) immensely helpful and always ready for community action. So I'm hoping for a lot here!

Please check this thread at the Unity forums, and cast a vote in the Poll:
http://forum.unity3d.com/viewtopic.php?t=40651

And respond back either here/there, I would really appreciate input, on all spectrums.

Thanks!

(s2a) yahodahan

Apr 22, 2009
Thanks for the support!

I've had tons of issues with Chrome- loved it, but eventually it just kept dying on my comp...no idea why. Blah.

Glad to hear you've had some experience with Unity though! :) (albeit not so good...lol)

gamemaster1996

L13: Stunning Member
Sep 30, 2009
This would be useful although steam and valve might ask you to limit stuff because i think you have to get somne things by paying for stuff (e.g hammer) but im not sure.

Sel

Banned
Feb 18, 2009
So basically you're remaking turbosquid on some other site? :/

Retroid

L5: Dapper Member
Aug 25, 2009
I think that's jist of it, a bit of lower market though (us included)...

TBF to Turbosquid; the amount of hours it would take to make most of those 3D models for the prices they're selling - you could earn more on a minimum wage job.

Last edited:

(s2a) yahodahan

Apr 22, 2009
Actually, it's much, MUCH more than that! Remember, you would be able to view the model in complete, 100%, real-time 3D, not just fake 30 minute renderings. This is a huge difference, and would really give us all a big advantage in finding just the right model.

There are also options for different render modes (real-time Ambient Occlusion, Wireframe, Flat Shading), 3 different scene-views (White Box, Black Box, Reflective), and the ability to move the light all around the model and control it's intensity.

All within the browser, all at smooth fps! This is serious folks!

Best part is- the first test-release is almost here! It will be up within a few hours, if all goes well. Please check it out and give us feedback, I will post here as soon as it is ready!

(s2a) yahodahan

Apr 22, 2009
This would be useful although steam and valve might ask you to limit stuff because i think you have to get somne things by paying for stuff (e.g hammer) but im not sure.

Not a worry- we wouldn't be posting any of valve's models, this is a purely independent site, where artists would post their own work for sale/free use to the community.

Thanks!

Retroid

Aug 25, 2009
The first bloke I saw was selling the code and graphics for a Tower Defence game he's programmed but he stole the sprites from Warcraft 3 (which left a pretty bad impression on me.)

(s2a) yahodahan

Apr 22, 2009
The first bloke I saw was selling the code and graphics for a Tower Defence game he's programmed but he stole the sprites from Warcraft 3 (which left a pretty bad impression on me.)

Hey now, that is NOT anything to do with my site- just some fool on the Unity forums. Not sure how they intend to not get sued to pieces...

Retroid

Aug 25, 2009
Ah sorry, I'll retract that statement. Good luck anywho!