Looking for some map ideas for sniper tourney

Siliconhobbit

L1: Registered
Feb 10, 2008
Hey All!

New member here. Siliconhobbit is the name. Everyone just calls me Hobbit tho.

I'm working on getting some sniper duels going over o the Hells Elite server and what I'd like to know is what maps you all like the most for sniper wars. I have a map in mind for a tournament but I know I haven't even touched the surface on all of the maps out there that are good for sniper wars.

So if ya'd like...gimme an idea of what you all like for maps the most and in particular what you like for maps for sniper duels.

I myself am partial to the sniper_brawl map. Whats your favorite?

MacNetron

L5: Dapper Member
Dec 12, 2007
Yo Silicon... :p

uhh... is "none" allowed too? Although I can snipe a little bit, as a medic I hate snipers and demomen :)

But for map suggestions, I would say a mirrored map with unreachable bases (if you don't want melee fights) and plenty of cover. Different levels (as in height) too.
(why do I have the idea you figured this out already?)

Siliconhobbit

Feb 10, 2008
:) You would be correct. What I am looking specifically for is specific maps. As I said so far like the sniper_brawl map. I was hoping some in the community had an idea of some more maps and specifically names of maps that might do well for sniper wars. Oh and all other classes on the maps for the wars would be disabled. You'd only be able to play a sniper.

Brandished

Jan 19, 2008
Maps for sniper wars? I'll be honest, I really don't like sniping maps, sitting in one spot and picking off members of the enemy team one by one gets old fast for me. A sniper on sniper contest is a little more interesting, but that to, bores me after awhile.

Anyways, the more popular sniping "friendly" maps off the top of my head are cp_floodzone, cp_snowbridge, cp_lazytown, ctf_mach4, cp_orange_x, cp_orange_cross, and ctf_convoy. Of these, the only ones I like playing are mach4, lazytown, and convoy, if any of the others come up on rotation, I'll usually leave the server (I don't like sniping maps).

ryodoan

Resident Bum
Nov 2, 2007
I generally like playing as a sniper in online games, but I dont really enjoy playing as a Sniper in TF2.

1. The laser dot visible to enemies. Who on gods earth would buy a scope that uses a visible light laser?
2. Scope charging, Powering up the scope leaves you vulnerable to melee attacks like nothing else, yet if you want to kill anyone the scope needs to be fully charged.

Last edited:

Narkissus

Jan 22, 2008
I dunno, I like how snipers are in tf2 right now, the dot is from tfc snipers, and it really goes to help not having snipers overpowered, also you have to hide the dot, which is a main part of playing the sniper.
The charge does that as well. Its pretty easy to whip up your gun and shoot someone right away already. If it was one shot kills as well then it would just be overpowered.
As a sniper just make sure to always be checking your back. And remember the kukri is your best friend vs an enemy spy. Or anyone for that matter, the machine gun sucks.
I get almost more kills from the kukri then from the actual sniper rifle usually.

l3eeron

L8: Fancy Shmancy Member
Jan 4, 2008
Jeez, Hobbit...

I don't know what to suggest other than to sift through the map releases here. Or dive in head first and make one of your own! Just dont make it orange, please

Siliconhobbit

Feb 10, 2008
Heh heh..No no I won't be making my own. There are plenty of maps out there that are suitable for what I have in mind. And just to clarify...it would be sniper on sniper and none of the other classes would be available.

ChickenHunter

L4: Comfortable Member
Feb 12, 2008
i get bored easylyl in sniper brawl maps so i change class to pyro or heavy and then obstruct the snipers view for fun :p