looking for some great tutorials and mappers.

-=[D.A.W.H]=-

L1: Registered
Feb 10, 2011
hey, i have a BIG problem:

I CAN'T FINISH MY MAPS!

i have a lot of ideas on my head and i have been making some drawings of the map,but im very bat at making houses and big buildings....

:brushtool: making brushes smoth is a very hard part for me and most of my buildings is boring.

:applytexture::faceedittool: textures are very annoying and i allways end up with textures that i have to resize...

:entityool: making everything work is also a hard part.

are you a mapper with no ideas?

i may help you with getting some ideas!

send me a pm and i will give you a drawing of a map(consept art)

remember to give me some info about the theme of the map(halloween,industrial,medieval and more!)

ignore my typos.

i have a lot of ideas and i love to make maps(but i never finish my maps...)

edit: oh, i forgot something!

i love HALLOWEEN THEMED MAPS and i want to make a halloween payload map with a haunted steampowered train.

i have some drawings of this haunted train!(i need a model maker too)

Last edited:

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
Check my sig for some tutorials i've written myself. For other tutorials covering more practical aspects of Hammer you can try www.snarkpit.net and/or www.interlopers.net

Unfortunately some of the best stuff came from old school sites which have gone down now. Information (pre-source/HL2) used to be hard to come by and so there were a few select communities with really high quality information but ever since world builders became common place with PC games you just find bits of information all over the net.

I doubt a mapper would search after third party ideas since people (around here, at least) tend to have no problem with that aspect; and more of the same issue you have, finishing projects.

The only advice i can give is that there's a lot of satisfaction to be had in seeing a project to the end, the last 25% stretch is often the most tedious, but its necassery and a part of the whole process. Just try it once and make it a mission to see it to the end, when you make that goal/commitment to yourself it's easier to pull through to the end than just not bothering like you would with a half arsed hobby.

Good luck.

Last edited:

-=[D.A.W.H]=-

L1: Registered
Feb 10, 2011
there is no such thing

well, there may be some mappers that needs some refreshing and new ideas.

i would really like to see my map ideas become pro maps
Check my sig for some tutorials i've written myself. For other tutorials covering more practical aspects of Hammer you can try www.snarkpit.net and/or www.interlopers.net

I doubt a mapper would search after third party ideas since people (around here, at least) tend to have no problem with that aspect; and more of the same issue you have, finishing projects.

Good luck.

thanks, im now starting to make some drawings of my ghost train and my map!

is there some modelers who want to make a animated train model here?

Last edited:

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
-=[D.A.W.H]=-;247896 said:
i would really like to see my map ideas become pro maps

It's often incredibly difficult to translate someones elses idea accurately, especially with the eventual changes necassery for balance and improved gameplay experience. In fact i wish more clients for graphic designers would defer to the knowledge/education and experience of a degree holding designer, many professional designers have issues negotiating with clients over the direction and aesthetic of a product. It's very rare for 2 people to see eye to eye, especially when there's years worth of career specific education and industry experience seperating the two. But i digress.

There are plenty of people willing to fork out ideas who cannot map, but mappers tend to already have their own ideas/projects. The nature of being in a creative field is that you're naturally creative. I don't believe in artists block, inspiration can be found in everything, though i can understand if people burn out by working at something too much, that's only natural.

It seems like you're quite interested in what can be achieved with world editors, particularly Source's world editor. If you're really interested and feel like you wanna read into it some more i'd really suggest practicing with it yourself. It's surprisingly fulfilling.

Last edited: