Looking for Opinions on a Layout

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Fit, Jun 19, 2013.

1. Fit

Fit L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    So I am planning my second attempt at making a playable... thing. But this time I am doing what I should of done for my first map: ask people who actually know what they are doing for their opinions of the basic layout before I put this thing in hammer.

This map will be a 5cp, it is drawn up to mid point. The theme is a secret spytech base, with each team being shipwrecked on opposite coasts. Last being on what's left of each team's boat on a coast/cave hybrid (bottom), mid being the top.
    A few notes:
    • I am most worried about how big this map is looking to be, is it too large?
    • Things that are shaded mostly mean it is a wall/impassable object.
    • I had to draw it on two separate pieces of paper, so try to see where the two match up.
    • Please ignore my crazy man notes everywhere.
    • If you cant quite make out what is going on here, I can try to draw up a more refined version.
    • I do no know why drop box refuses to make this image upright.

[​IMG]

EDIT: Dropbox was being weird, had to change the host, images should remain up now.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2013
  2. Crash

aa Crash func_nerd

Positive Ratings:
    Your images don't seem to be working.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Fish 2.0

Fish 2.0 L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    I'm not sure, the middle looks very open for a control point map where you almost need to effectively funnel people down a path otherwise combat will be too dispersed.

Maybe block out something quick in Hammer and see how that turns out with scale and all?

4. Fit

Fit L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    So I took your advice, and redesigned mid to be more focused on the point. Problem now is that I think I overdid it with the high-grounds around the point. I tryed to negate that by making it easier to get up there. Thoughts?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

EDIT:The point itself in between the center buildings and crates, for some reason it decided to disappear in my screenshots.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2013
  5. Yoda12999

Yoda12999 L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    I'm getting an Artic feel from that mid sans underground route. Makes sense for 5cp and I like it. Of course that is just this plebeian's opinion.