1. Hey there Guest,

The game servers have moved to semi-dedicated hardware and IPs have changed. Please see front page server widget for up-to-date game server information.

Looking for Modeler for Small Scale work

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Crimson, Sep 22, 2008.

1. Crimson

Crimson L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    Alright,

So I have been working around the clock like crazy while im unemployed to finish as much of this mod as possible. After 2 weeks of long hours, I finally finished coding the Powerups plugin to resemble Quake3. I have been messing with Illustrator and Maya3D quite a bit trying to make these on my own, but with how much work has gone into this mod as far as coding and mapping, I don't want half ass models floating around.

So...I am looking for a modeler to basically make 3 powerup models. I don't think this will be too difficult for someone who knows what they are doing so I figured I would post here first. Anywhere else I am going to run into some problems getting the models made ready to go for Source implementation.

Here is an example video I just took with fraps in Quake3 of how the original powerup looks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrfPCH1cFv0

Basically I will need models similar to this for a Quad Damage powerup, Haste powerup, and Invisibility powerup. I got to thinking, and here are the ideas I had for each.

Here is an actual model from TF2 that gave me somewhat of an idea...

[​IMG]

Then I started thinking. Could do something like that, with a different symbol for each.

Haste Powerup Symbol:
    http://www.wpclipart.com/energy/lightning_icon.png

Quad Damage Powerup Symbol:
    http://www.fantompowa.eu/fist_icon.jpg

Invisibility Powerup Symbol:
    http://www1.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/3930174/2/istockphoto_3930174-eye-icon-in-9-colors.jpg

Something along those lines is what I was thinking. Obviously the more professional and appealing to the eye it looks the better. I am in dire need of finding someone to do this. Since this has been a one man project for months, I would like to bring a modeler on to the team with me to make this all the more appealing (with some nice benefeits as well) but if thats not an option, I will also do this as just a small scale freelance job for someone. So please get in contact with me if you can help. I will wait a few days and if I can't find anyone probably just try some of the modeling forums.

Thanks! :)

2. Dox

Dox L8: Fancy Shmancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    Hmm, haven't figured out how to make it spin yet but would this be ok?

[​IMG]

more detail? larger circle? Better coloring? not really too "professional" ill admit, but wanted it to fit in with the TF2 theme... maybe a point_tesla (tiny radius) parented inside of a floating transparent circle would look better, but I dont know if that would work with your mod.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2008
  3. Altaco

Altaco L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    Hmm, could I see a wireframe on that? It looks rather high-poly.

4. Nineaxis

aa Nineaxis Quack Doctor

Positive Ratings:
    I'd say don't smooth the edges, have it be sharp and iconic. Make the jags more emphasised (like in that source image)

5. FaTony

FaTony Banned

Positive Ratings:
    No way. That valve sign is smooth.

6. Crimson

Crimson L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    Hey Dox, sorry, I checked this thread a few days after I made it and didnt see anyone replying so I kind of put it aside and forgot about it. That model is pretty nice, but I already hired someone else to make them all :<

I appreciate your help though!

7. Nineaxis

aa Nineaxis Quack Doctor

Positive Ratings:
    I don't get what you mean. That valve sign is sharp, has sharp corners... yes, it is circular, but no, it does indeed have sharp edges.

8. Dox

Dox L8: Fancy Shmancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    no problem, good luck with your mod! :)

9. Altaco

Positive Ratings:
    How's this?
    [​IMG]

10. laghlagh

laghlagh L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    lol

EDIT: yes that looks just perfect Altaco!

Last edited: Oct 3, 2008
  11. Vander

Vander L8: Fancy Shmancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    That looks great Altaco!

12. ShroudedSiege

ShroudedSiege L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Making it spin is easy all you need to do is create a bone and then link each part to that bone. Then you create keyframes and animate the bone itself, then you export the bone as an animation =-)

13. Altaco

Positive Ratings:
    Invisin' it up.

[​IMG]

Thought I'd venture a little further than the original concept for the quad damage, since a fist is frankly a pain in the ass to do.

[​IMG]

I'll start working on the animations now.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2008