Looking for basic model tutorial.

Belli

L69: Deviant Member
Jan 21, 2012
There's plenty of tutorials on how to make hats or something with blender, or resizing something for the skybox via the qc file, but I'm looking for a simple way to

1) Scale objects in one direction only

2) clip/cut existing props

are there any basic tutorials about that kind of stuff? :confused:

Harribo

aa
Nov 1, 2009
1. That would involve decompiling the model and messing with it in your modelling program of choice, there will be tutorials for scaling in X program, after that just follow regular beginner TF2 modelling tutorials to export and compile.

Feb 18, 2009
Your gonna want to use this.
It's a little out of date now, but the principles still hold. You'll need Studiocompiler instead of GUIStudioMDL and MDLDecompiler, as it does the functions of both. I've also found that you don't need to hex-edit the mdl file any more. Then, obviously, you'll need to open the smd from the decompile in a modelling program (like Blender) and do your edits there before editing the qc file and recompiling.

Belli

L69: Deviant Member
Jan 21, 2012
Your gonna want to use this.
It's a little out of date now, but the principles still hold. You'll need Studiocompiler instead of GUIStudioMDL and MDLDecompiler, as it does the functions of both. I've also found that you don't need to hex-edit the mdl file any more. Then, obviously, you'll need to open the smd from the decompile in a modelling program (like Blender) and do your edits there before editing the qc file and recompiling.

Much appreciated, that's what I'm looking for.

Freyja

aa
Jul 31, 2009
[/URL]
It's a little out of date now, but the principles still hold. You'll need Studiocompiler instead of GUIStudioMDL and MDLDecompiler

Although, I find that StudioCompiler is really annoying to work with for compiling, GUIStudioModel is just nicer :D