Looking for a tutorial.

temion

L2: Junior Member
Aug 16, 2008
So after consulting the Search button here, and Google, i am lost.

I need a tutorial on how to make those mesh overlays on displacements that valve likes to use for tire tracks. I've extracted a valve map and clicked the displacement and don't see really how it was made. If i stick an overlay onto a displacement in my own map, i get a compile error. I see valve warps the displacement to make the tracks turn and such, but i don't see how exactly.

Can someone point me to a tutorial on this? Considering its in almost every valve map, someone has to have written one up. If not, can someone quickly explain how this is done?

edit: this is what i'm talking about.
meshv.jpg

thanks!

Last edited:

temion

Aug 16, 2008
Thats really close, but it doesn't show how to do that mesh effect valve uses or how to do it on displacements without a compile error. :)

temion

Aug 16, 2008
bump. I feel like every question i post here is like an unsolvable riddle. Does really no one know how to do an overlay like this on a displacement?

Bermuda Cake

L9: Fashionable Member
Feb 20, 2009
that really shouldn't cause an error. You sure you don't have errors else where? Are your displacements func_details or something? Try compiling with / without the overlay.

temion

Aug 16, 2008
Really? That's bizarre! I'll have to double check all of my files. My compiles return no errors without the overlays.

edit: Aha! you are right! They work now that the map is error free. Well this is great news! :)

Last edited: