Looking For A Nuclear Smokestack Model

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by StoneFrog, Apr 18, 2009.

1. StoneFrog

StoneFrog L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    I'm thinking of making my CTF map between two nuclear power plants. Artistic style would be a cross between Hydro's clean high security-ness and Well's interiors.

Of course, before proceeding, I'd like to know if TF2 has a prop of these anywhere:
    [​IMG]

I could've sworn I saw a pair somewhere, though I have since been unable to find them through the fanmade prop library or model viewer. Perhaps I'm just going mad. Is there one anywhere, be it in TF2 or a custom one?

2. l3eeron

l3eeron L8: Fancy Shmancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    I don't recall ever seeing props for this....

They would be pretty easy to make with brushes. Just make a cylinder, clip into sections width-wise, select the whole thing, go into vertex tool and use the scale feature.

3. YM

aa YM LVL100 YM

Positive Ratings:
    Those could be made easily out of brushes or displacements, you want them in the skybox i assume?

4. StoneFrog

StoneFrog L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    Yes, in the skybox. I was thinking of vertex editing some brushes to make them, but I'm not good with concave structures. :p

No need to make one for me, I could give it a shot now and let you know if I need any aid. I recall a source version of CS 1.6's as_oilrig that made them out of displacements, but I'd rather not use those...

5. munkey

munkey L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    They're called cooling towers fyi, might make finding a model easier.

6. Earl

Earl L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    Make them out of 2 cones and a cylinder.

7. ikem

ikem L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    this is easy with the subdivide and 2 brushes ill get a screen soon

edit i guess it takes 4 brushes but yea i did it really fast and it looks somewhat like one with some tweaking u could get it almost spot on :D

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 19, 2009
  8. eerieone

aa eerieone

Positive Ratings:
    there you go, that looks nice
    now just slice it up into texturable segments and there you go

9. zornor

zornor L4: Comfortable Member

Positive Ratings:
    I read this thread and started to make one as a model. I see that you've finished yours but i'm continuing mine cause it'll look cool in the skybox :D

10. zpqrei

aa zpqrei Theme Changer Extraordinaire

Positive Ratings:
    If you then must have it as a model, import into a 3D app and then export as a model. Simple.

(Super bump is super!)

11. Acegikmo

aa Acegikmo

Positive Ratings:
    I made a smokestack like that once, it worked pretty well to make it with brushes.

1. Make a cylinder and use the clip tool to split it into multiple stacked cylinders.
    2. Select them all and click the verted manipulator tool.
    3. Select some vertices of a cylinder top and the vertices on the bottom of the cylinder above (They should be in the same location)
    4. Press Alt+E to scale them.
    5. Repeat the process for all vertices until it looks as you want it to look.