Long compile times

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by DrSquishy, May 2, 2017.

1. DrSquishy

DrSquishy L8: Fancy Shmancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    When compiling my map, it keep getting stuck on 9... on portal flow. I know exactly why this is, as I have recently added a huge amount of prop_dynamics. How can I keep the same amount of props while getting a consistant compile time?

2. Crash

aa Crash func_nerd

Positive Ratings:
    Portals have nothing to do with props, though! I'd imagine you have to many visleaf cuts, caused by too much complex geometry not func_detailed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. DrSquishy

Positive Ratings:
    I have no complex geometry left though, as I func_detailed the previous set that was slowing compiling. All I have done for this compilation is add the crate models, so I wouldn't have thought it is anything else.

4. Crash

aa Crash func_nerd

Positive Ratings:
    Go to Map > Load Portal File and look around the map some. You might have missed something, or you have something bugging out and really throwing things off.

5. DrSquishy

Positive Ratings:
    Nothing happens when I load the portal file except most things are outlined with a sort of blue box, like when you press I

6. The Guy You Know

The Guy You Know L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    sometimes compiling a map with diffrent settings can help, even re-running the compiler on high settings after having it set on low settings has helped me fore. I can't say how the reliable doing that is but you can try doing that if you want.

Last edited: May 4, 2017
  7. DrSquishy

Positive Ratings:
    After disabling VIS and RAD, it compiled almost instantly, but when looking at thecompile log, it seemed extremely short, and didnt contain visleaf rendering or portal flow rendering, but this fixed the issue. Thanks so much!

8. Tumbolisu

aa Tumbolisu  I ⌄ I 

Positive Ratings:
    No what no don't do that
    You are literally making your map unplayable by disabling everything or sometimes even just setting it to 'fast'.

You need to learn about optimization: The process of making compile times and/or ingame performance better.
    read, read and dont stop reading http://www.optimization.interlopers.net/

9. killohurtz

aa killohurtz Distinction in Applied Carving

Positive Ratings:
    That's what it's supposed to do. Those blue outlines indicate the visleafs your map was divided into. The goal (simply put) is to make these leafs look as clean as possible, so if you have any dense clusters of blue lines then you should consider func_detailing the brushes that are making those leaf cuts.

Running a fast compile is like putting a band-aid on the problem. You want to optimize your map well enough so that you can run a full compile at a reasonable length.

10. DrSquishy

Positive Ratings:
    21 minutes, 41 seconds elapsed. This is with RAD disabled

11. DrSquishy

Positive Ratings:
    Another problem is that my map doesn't seem to be generating a .prt file anymore, and when hammer last crashed it dissapeared. Is there any way to re-create it?

12. killohurtz

aa killohurtz Distinction in Applied Carving

Positive Ratings:
    A portal file will only be generated if VBSP finishes without leaks, so make sure you have no errors. You can run VBSP only just to save time generating the file, and do a full compile later.

13. DrSquishy

Positive Ratings:
    Thank you a lot for the portal file help. using them, I found that about 50+ visleafs were produced alone by these 5 window panes and about 20 by a single Iron girder, of which I had 5 of.

14. DrSquishy

Positive Ratings:
    Using just the func_detail(with the portal file) and skybox sections of the guide, I cut the compile time from around 21 minutes to 59 seconds!

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. Micnax

aa Micnax I maek map

Positive Ratings:
    The magic of func_detail

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. DrSquishy

Positive Ratings:
    Yep

17. The Guy You Know

The Guy You Know L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    no problem, just remember to use normal settings when compiling a map ready for release

18. DrSquishy

Positive Ratings:
    Found it is much better when only RAD is disabled

19. Crowbar

aa Crowbar perfektoberfest

Positive Ratings:
    Dude, you're not supposed to be disabling any of them even for testing - how do you see your lighting that way? All 3 of VBSP, VVIS, VRAD serve each its own purpose and must all be run in order for the map to function properly.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Tumbolisu

aa Tumbolisu  I ⌄ I 

Positive Ratings:
    Not running VRad will result in the map being fullbright. Fullbright maps are not accepted for playtests as it will affect all proceeding maps.