1. For information on the current problems with the download system, please see this thread.

Our servers are now running a Steam Workshop rotation, if you'd like your map to be considered for inclusion on our rotation, post in the rotation discussion thread

Or, if you just want to play some of the best community maps the Workshop has to offer, you can join our servers by clicking these links:

Logical Fallacies

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by ForbiddenDonut, Apr 27, 2012.

1. ForbiddenDonut

aa ForbiddenDonut

Positive Ratings:
    http://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/

As someone who participated in college debate teams and enjoys watching debates online, I found this website highly amusing. Gave me a good twenty minutes of chuckling.

• Thanks Thanks x 3
  2. Rexy

aa Rexy The Kwisatz Haderach

Positive Ratings:
    YUS. My logic class will NOT GO TO WASTE!

3. Sel

Sel Banned

Positive Ratings:
    I can debate you into the fetal position.

4. owly-oop

aa owly-oop im birb

Positive Ratings:
    i don't see the concept of living on this list

5. Dr. Element

aa Dr. Element Also known as Faux Rhinoceros

Positive Ratings:
    I recognize the one about circular reasoning :D

6. Trotim

aa Trotim

Positive Ratings:
    The Fallacy Fallacy, I feel, is by far the most important one. It shouldn't matter who points out something or how - if you're interested enough you might still be able to get new information regardless. And then help all participants out by presenting that.

Also not every hypothesis or prediction is automatically a Slippery Slope fallacy either, always remember that. E.g. SPUF loves to ignore that.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Turbo Lover

Turbo Lover Fight me under Glasgow Central Station

Positive Ratings:
    So how does one figure out what logical fallacy is theirs, assuming they don't debate often?

8. Trotim

aa Trotim

Positive Ratings:
    You've probably done all of them a couple of times. Hard to avoid without consciously keeping them in mind.

9. ForbiddenDonut

aa ForbiddenDonut

Positive Ratings:
    Well, the same way you get good at doing anything in life: by being aware of and practicing your usage of language. If you argue a lot (in the civil, discussion-based manner), you'll learn yourself how people resort to logical fallacies to "strengthen" their point. All this site does is compile the official definitions.

Logical fallacies are debate crutches. To the trained ear, they are obvious and really cause your argument to flat line. However, they seem to be rather effective at persuading people who are uneducated or close-minded on a topic.

It's not exactly accurate to assign logical fallacies to certain people, but rather assign them to different arguments. For example, the "slippery slope" is applied to the homosexuality and marriage rights debate a lot.

Of course, now that you know them, the next time you and your mate get into an argument and he uses one, you can call him out and effectively gut his point (of course, not disclosing the whole argument on the fallacy's fallacy principle).

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. grazr

aa grazr Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle

Positive Ratings:
    I'm probably way too much of a victim of being anecdotal in my arguements.

But the bandwagon one amuses me: "eat shit, millions of flies can't be wrong".