Log Bench

Model Log Bench 2015-08-30

Acumen

Annoyer
aa
Jun 11, 2009
Got kinda stuck on that wooden sawmill theme and tried to come up with a simple bench prop made out of cut open logs. It's a very rough and basic cylindrical mockup atm. Made 3 variations. The middle one I dislike the most, so I think I'm gonna scrap that one. The rest is kinda ok as a quick prop placed in the scenery I think. The textures are slapped on there in a hacky fashion, will bother making proper ones in the end.
Basically just wanna throw this in the room and take a nap again :D
I'll be remodeling the stuff with details like cracks and bumps and whatnot in the next minutes/hours/days - wish me luck :closedeyes:

log_bench_wip1.jpg

Last edited:

Ravidge

Grand Vizier
aa
May 14, 2008
I think the top one is the best. The smaller logs underneath it should be scaled down slightly though.. I think, maybe.

A Boojum Snark

Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado
aa
Nov 2, 2007
First one is best, last one is... passable, if strange. Middle one is all wrong, as there is no logical/structual need for a third leg when using an entire half log.

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
I think the top one is the best. The smaller logs underneath it should be scaled down slightly though.. I think, maybe.

Yeah. Maybe 2/3 or even half the size they are now.

Rexy

The Kwisatz Haderach
aa
Dec 22, 2008
What if you did some soft selection so all of the portions aren't so regular?

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
The last one would be better with legs like the middle one. I like the first one pretty well, also the middle, but the legs do need to be smaller. The back on the third looks odd but it might be good.

Acumen

Annoyer
aa
Jun 11, 2009
You guys are absolutely right about the scaling issues with the underlying logs - scale in general is kinda weird, I'd say - now that I look at it even mroe.
The middle leg on the middle bench is just there cause it was on the reference pic. I don't like that version at all - neither do you guys apparently - so I will only detail the first and third one - bare with me :)
Also the textures won't be so blurry with a proper uvmap applied.

Thanks for your input so far ! Be continuing tomorrow, when gf is babysitting ;)

Last edited:

Acumen

Annoyer
aa
Jun 11, 2009
And you did !

Just meant in general ;) - it's all good !

Acumen

Annoyer
aa
Jun 11, 2009
Alright, took my time to remodel the benches:

log_bench_wip2.jpg

Remnic

L2: Junior Member
Jan 24, 2009
First one is best, last one is... passable, if strange. Middle one is all wrong, as there is no logical/structual need for a third leg when using an entire half log.

Hehe. You said "third leg".

As for the benches, the first one is more suitable.

Acumen

Annoyer
aa
Jun 11, 2009
Now I need to scale it properly - future failure for sure.

log_bench_compile.jpg

Last edited: