LMAOBOX has been detected by VAC

Aug 30, 2015
I'm not sure what LMAOBox is or what changed, but the bottom line seems to be that some assholes got screwed over, which I'm always willing to count as a win

dryerlint

L5: Dapper Member
Mar 28, 2016
I'm not sure what LMAOBox is or what changed, but the bottom line seems to be that some assholes got screwed over, which I'm always willing to count as a win

It was a cheating/aimbot program, and the paid version was apparently "undetectable", so people could more or less shut down entire servers with no risk of being VAC banned. Well, that changed today. A ton of LMAOBox users got banned at once, and the main dev pretty much abandoned the project, so it looks like it's finished!

Lain

lobotomy success story
aa
Jan 8, 2015
I really hope my whining in chat got somewhere.

Says something about the state of Highlander though, every single winning team from every single division had their Snipers banned. A team that my team lost a match against had THREE cheaters on their team, including the sniper of course. If anyone has a link to the UGC banlist they're part of Legion.

Tbqh I can't express how happy I am, this has revived my faith in this game. We can finally play Payload servers in peace without the fear of aimbotting idiots.

Good fucking job Valve, GG, WP.

Vel0city

func_fish
aa
Dec 6, 2014
So about 500 users with the premium version got banned, including some very high level UGC players. Here is a list of all the UGC players banned.

Unfortunately, this won't do much against the free version of the hack, and since any F2P can make accounts for as long as they like, they'll keep doing so until VAC bans based on IP address or hardware ID instead of just accounts.

Got one in this post.

Viemärirotta

sniffer
aa
Feb 5, 2016
So about 500 users with the premium version got banned, including some very high level UGC players. Here is a list of all the UGC players banned.

Unfortunately, this won't do much against the free version of the hack, and since any F2P can make accounts for as long as they like, they'll keep doing so until VAC bans based on IP address or hardware ID instead of just accounts.

Got one in this post.

Valve probably doesn't want to do them on IP addresses as some may have a computer with multiple Steam accounts used on it. I did hear from somewhere that all accounts linked to the same phone number when one of the accounts is VAC-banned leads to all linked accounts getting banned as well.

Lain

lobotomy success story
aa
Jan 8, 2015

Got one in this post.
Not only 500, 500 competitive players were banned. Going off of the Steamstatus chart, it's closer to 6000 players.

Vel0city

func_fish
aa
Dec 6, 2014
Not only 500, 500 competitive players were banned. Going off of the Steamstatus chart, it's closer to 6000 players.
Got a source for that? Like a list or something?

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
Valve probably doesn't want to do them on IP addresses as some may have a computer with multiple Steam accounts used on it. I did hear from somewhere that all accounts linked to the same phone number when one of the accounts is VAC-banned leads to all linked accounts getting banned as well.
Why not make it so every single account requires its own unique phone number in order to play games online? Then griefers would have to resort to buying a burner phone for every single account they set up, which ought to weed out the vast majority.

dryerlint

Mar 28, 2016
Why not make it so every single account requires its own unique phone number in order to play games online? Then griefers would have to resort to buying a burner phone for every single account they set up, which ought to weed out the vast majority.

Some kids probably play using their parent's phone or something, so siblings would have trouble with it

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
It's an M rated game; kids too young to own their own cell phones shouldn't be playing anyway.

dryerlint

Mar 28, 2016
It's an M rated game; kids too young to own their own cell phones shouldn't be playing anyway.

Ah, I thought you were talking about all of Steam, instead of just TF2. Yeah, the system makes sense for specific games I suppose. Although I have heard from several TF2 players (probably grown ones, not kids) that they don't own smartphones, so the Steam Guard system really screwed them over.