1. Hey there Guest,

The game servers have moved to semi-dedicated hardware and IPs have changed. Please see front page server widget for up-to-date game server information.

Lithium

Discussion in 'Map Factory' started by Fraz, Jun 30, 2009.

1. Fraz

aa Fraz Blu Hatte, Greyscale Backdrop.

Positive Ratings:
    cp_lithium (Lithium)
    Author: Frazer "midget" Grant
    Summary: Lithium is a control point map with 5 control points. Each team starts with 2, and has to cap the other teams, and the middle point. Set in the desert area (not for definite).

Change Log:
    Alpha 1: First Release!
    Alpha 2
    • Completely redid the whole base area.
    • Removed Long SniperLines.
    Alpha 3
    • Made the base less sniper friendly - again
    • Added a second spawn to stop camping
    • Made the base shorter in lenghth

Change Log Alternate:
    Alpha 1: First Release!
    Alpha 2: Redid base area.
    Alpha 3: More changes to the base.

Thanks to

A Boojum Snark - His Gametype Library
    Acegikmo - His Environment Library

Feedback On
    - Size
    - Layout
    - Balance
    - Ammo/HP

Last edited: Jul 1, 2009
  2. eerieone

aa eerieone

Positive Ratings:
    without having played it i spot vast sniperlanes,
    you need some more geometry/variety blocking viewdistances

3. HellJumper

aa HellJumper

Positive Ratings:
    It looks like there are no props =(
    Not to be an arse or anything.

4. Fraz

Positive Ratings:
    Well, when testing comes, we'll see what happens. I tend to start with more open spaces, because, it is possible to make them work well. I'll be submitting for a gameday, we'll see what happens. I hope by the end the map will have a "vertical" element to it. I am trying to be as simple as possible with the geometry, and the layout.

5. Void

aa Void Local Man Unable To Map, Sources Say

Positive Ratings:
    Looks like a "BANG! You're dead. BANG! You're dead. BANG! You're dead. Etc, etc." Map.

6. Fraz

Positive Ratings:
    Only testing can provide us with the answers :O

7. Psy

aa Psy The Imp Queen

Positive Ratings:
    You don't need testing to see that. Take the first screenshot. There's the cap with pretty much no cover. It's just going to be a sniperfest.

8. Fraz

Positive Ratings:
    =/ I'm not changing anything until I get at least a small test going. I know you guys are concerned about snipers, so you guys don't need to post any more about it, k?

Wow... when I get the first test, I'll know what to do with it, where cover needs added. Instead of being negative, you guys could Download the map and have a run round, and see what it feels like in-game rather than just judging by screenshots.

I'd rather my map be too open than too cramped, why? It's easier to fill in stuff, than it is to expand everything.

9. eerieone

aa eerieone

Positive Ratings:
    we┬┤re not talking your map down, just stating the obvious from experience and a well trained eye

10. Fraz

Positive Ratings:
    Well, I bowed to you guys' concerns and completely demolished both bases. Rebuilt this time with cover.

11. Fraz

Positive Ratings:
    Double Post! - Alpha 3 is out with more changes to the base, with added, yes added. Second spawn.

12. eerieone

aa eerieone

Positive Ratings:
    yeah, that looks like a more reasonable size
    if still in doubt, what i do is placing a sniper-player-figure on the end of a corridor/open field, compile, and run through the map and check if the sniper is just a dot on my screen or if its a fair distance to still counter him

13. Fraz

Positive Ratings:
    Gameday Bump!

Be cruel, Be Harsh, Rip this map apart. I wanna hear every nitty gritty little complaint you have. The more honest you guys are, the better this thing will end up.

14. Micnax

aa Micnax I maek map

Positive Ratings:
    Yes, it was a bit sniper-happy, and there isn't really much height.

Also, the 2nd to last points look way too close to the spawns, it's as if they look like the final ones.

Oh, and fill that pitch black room with light. Hidden sentries lurk there :3

15. Hanz

aa Hanz Ravin' Rabbid

Positive Ratings:
    The maps layout was just boring and too open. There was 1 way to the main cp, almost no building where you could get in, or any cover where you could hide.

16. Ten19

Ten19 L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    I think the outer boundries of the map are okay, but you need a LOT more stuff filled in (landscape, buildings, props, anything), the lanes of traffic are just wayy too wide.

17. Psy

aa Psy The Imp Queen

Positive Ratings:
    There really isn't much of a level. It's one huge wide corridor with capture points in the middle. You need to create a layout which allows players to move around in a strategic and considered manner otherwise the gameplay is stale and won't bring players back.

18. luxatile

aa luxatile deer

Positive Ratings:
    Hm, you've got a lot of work to do here.

- You can practically see point 1 from point 2, and vice versa. That's too short of a distance.
    - The lower area from the ramp by point 2 all the way to point 1 is pretty much a deathtrap because the only way out is by point 2. When we were defending from the lower area and the enemy capped point 2, we had no way to get back to point 1.
    - The middle is a huge chokepoint. You have to make at least one alternate path for that point.

19. Fraz

Positive Ratings:
    Thanks for the feedback guys! I think I will completely redo the bases. (I've already got what I want down in blocks, just need to tweak it) I will probably keep the same layout for the middle cp, just altering it. So, yeah, with the next release it will seem like a totally different map, I am also considering changing the setting (night perhaps?)