Limiting classes via map

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by absurdistof, Sep 11, 2011.

1. absurdistof

aa absurdistof

Positive Ratings:
    Alright so here's the deal:
    I'm making a medieval map that's centered around jumping across gaps with the charge n' targe, or the splendid screen. Unfortunately, the map has massive massive sightlines that come as a result of it being based around charging over great gaps to get from A to B etc.
    It's not a serious map, but I need to be able to limit the player class choices, so that I don't get any snipers. Preferrably, I could limit the classes to demo-only. I know this is possible, since a map I played on 2Fort2Furious forced everyone to play heavy, and I'm trying to find a way that will be as clean and painless for the server owner as possible.

2. Fr0Z3nR

aa Fr0Z3nR Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums

Positive Ratings:
    I think thats server side,

but if its a demo jump map, why not just make it so that you need to demo charge out of the spawn area?

3. grazr

aa grazr Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle

Positive Ratings:
    Are you sure the map didn't just come with its own config?

A simple solution, though, as Frozen suggested. Just make it so only jump perk classes can get out of the spawn.

4. absurdistof

aa absurdistof

Positive Ratings:
    I have no idea if it did or not actually :p I'll throw in some pics of the playable areas of the map (in heavy dev), it's not a jump map, it's just a map with the gameplay centered around charging off of jumps.

5. Beetle

Beetle L9: Fashionable Member

Positive Ratings:
    air jousting?

6. Mr. Wimples

Mr. Wimples L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    Make all of the jumpable platforms look like cannons. Would be neat.

7. Turbo Lover

aa Turbo Lover Fight me under Glasgow Central Station

Positive Ratings:
    Class limits are server side, and if you're going to make it so that only jump classes can exit spawn, give players some way of knowing that.

Better yet, make the jump platform the inside of a very large cannon. Maybe this will explain where the Demo got the Sober Stuntsman.

8. Verumae

Verumae L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    I played on a dodgeball map where you'd automatically die if you weren't a pyro. Hosted it myself and it still killed everyone if you weren't pyro.

So, no, it's not serverside.

I don't know how to do this, but I do know that it's possible.

9. Wander

Wander L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    What about a trigger that looks for weapon entities to determine the class?