Lights that change colour

Neobenedict

L1: Registered
Oct 8, 2011
I'm going to be asking a lot of questions, and each person who answers my questions gets a +rep/thanks from me. Here is a question:

I've got this (terrible-looking, to be changed, tips on textures for the red and blue sections which will have glass between them) start of a trade map here:
aaRWq.png

I want to put a "disco" light that changes colour. I'm very new with lights. How do I make a spotlight which has a visible "beam" (not a laser beam, but as if it is showing up dust) and changes colour?

Thanks.

Also, what is "falloff"?

Last edited:

Seba

DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD
aa
Jun 9, 2009
Fun fact: naming lights increases the file size of the map. I'm not sure how severely, but IIRC it's pretty bad.

Trotim

aa
Jul 14, 2009
Your best bet is probably to minimize the actual lights being used... the disco lights hitting the walls or floor could be sprites, the disco ball itself and its rays a model. Hell that model could probably include the lights hitting the wall too, or perhaps particle effects

But anyway doing it with named colored lights is crazy and not very feasible

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
Fun fact: naming lights increases the file size of the map. I'm not sure how severely, but IIRC it's pretty bad.

The problem is more so that naming lights make them dynamic so they count towards your entity limit.

Neobenedict

L1: Registered
Oct 8, 2011
Your best bet is probably to minimize the actual lights being used... the disco lights hitting the walls or floor could be sprites, the disco ball itself and its rays a model. Hell that model could probably include the lights hitting the wall too, or perhaps particle effects

But anyway doing it with named colored lights is crazy and not very feasible

Yeah, I tried the long way with named coloured lights and it was painful. Thanks, I'll try your first option.