1. Hey there Guest,

The game servers have moved to semi-dedicated hardware and IPs have changed. Please see front page server widget for up-to-date game server information.

Lights that change colour

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Neobenedict, Oct 8, 2011.

1. Neobenedict

Neobenedict L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    I'm going to be asking a lot of questions, and each person who answers my questions gets a +rep/thanks from me. Here is a question:

I've got this (terrible-looking, to be changed, tips on textures for the red and blue sections which will have glass between them) start of a trade map here:
    [​IMG]

I want to put a "disco" light that changes colour. I'm very new with lights. How do I make a spotlight which has a visible "beam" (not a laser beam, but as if it is showing up dust) and changes colour?

Thanks.

Also, what is "falloff"?

Last edited: Oct 8, 2011
  2. Fr0Z3nR

aa Fr0Z3nR Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums

Positive Ratings:
    falloff is just max distance the light will reach before becomeing dark.

light_spot and point_spotlight (the latter being the effect you are looking for) is what you want. To change I assume you'll just have to turn them on/off via input/output commands.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Seba

aa Seba DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD

Positive Ratings:
    Fun fact: naming lights increases the file size of the map. I'm not sure how severely, but IIRC it's pretty bad.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  4. Trotim

aa Trotim

Positive Ratings:
    Your best bet is probably to minimize the actual lights being used... the disco lights hitting the walls or floor could be sprites, the disco ball itself and its rays a model. Hell that model could probably include the lights hitting the wall too, or perhaps particle effects

But anyway doing it with named colored lights is crazy and not very feasible

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. grazr

aa grazr Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle

Positive Ratings:
    The problem is more so that naming lights make them dynamic so they count towards your entity limit.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Neobenedict

Neobenedict L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Yeah, I tried the long way with named coloured lights and it was painful. Thanks, I'll try your first option.