Lights.rad workaround + making maps for sfm

V3rb

L1: Registered
Oct 16, 2020
Okay, so what I want is a map for an animation i want to make in sfm where there's a big room with black wall textures but floating glowing cubes everywhere that emit a strong white light. Now, i have never used sfm before. So first off, should I use tf2 Hammer or sfm Hammer to make it? Second of all, someone in another thread informed me that VRAD, specifically the part that overrides the default lights.rad file, is busted. So, what is the best way to go about doing this? I know from some experimentation that you can just put a light entity on each light luxel and that provides the same effect as lights.rad, but I've already spent about an hour getting the lighting of one of the cubes just right so i don't want to do all the work to duplicate and fine-tune everything just to find out it doesn't open properly in sfm or something.

Xbmann

aa
Jul 8, 2019
There are already textures that are solid white and emit light in the default lights.rad such as lights/white004

To add a custom rad file you use the -lights parameter for vrad.

From VDC: https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/VRAD

-lights <filename>.rad
Load a custom lights file in addition to lights.rad and the map-specific lights file. Include the file extension in the parameter.