1. Hey there Guest,

The game servers have moved to semi-dedicated hardware and IPs have changed. Please see front page server widget for up-to-date game server information.

lights.rad not working

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Lampenpam, Oct 7, 2013.

1. Lampenpam

aa Lampenpam

Positive Ratings:
    So I wanted that lights can go through the alpha-texture of a fence prop with the -lights lights.rad -textureshadow parameter for VVIS. But it seems hammer ignores the lights.rad. When I name the parameter -lights lamplights.rad -textureshadow the compile log said
    "Warning: couldn't find textlight file lamplights.rad"
    even if I name my light file <mapname>.rad it dosn't work.
    The rad textfile was always in my tf folder.

help me :>

2. henke37

aa henke37

Positive Ratings:
    The tool must be looking in another folder.

3. Lampenpam

aa Lampenpam

Positive Ratings:
    I took a look at my settings to check which folder the file should eventually go.

[​IMG]

$SteamUserDir...?
    not common? lol everythign works fine for me though...
    So in which fodler should I put the file now?

4. Pocket

aa Pocket func_croc

Positive Ratings:
    $SteamUserDir is common. Now that literally everything belongs there and the named-after-your-account-handle folder is just an appendix, Hammer defaults to common as the standard directory.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Lampenpam

aa Lampenpam

Positive Ratings:
    So common/team fortress 2/tf is actually the right folder for the lights.rad? Then why can't hammer find it?

6. Lampenpam

aa Lampenpam

Positive Ratings:
    Ok, Looks like I could fix it. I had to copy a lights.rad from another game to my tf folder.
    I thought creating a text file and naming it lamplight.rad would be enough. How do I create a RAD file if I cant copy one? well this actually dosn't matter as long I can always get a new one from other source games.

But the light still won't go through the alpha texture of the fence :( see?

VRAD is using this commands:
    -lights lamplight.rad -staticproppolys -textureshadows -staticproplighting -game $gamedir $path\$file

in the compile it does mention that it finds the file

And my lamplight.rad file contains this two lines:

forcetextureshadow models/props_construction/construction_fence128_corner.mdl
    forcetextureshadow props_construction/construction_fence128_corner.mdl

I pasted the path from hammer. I wasn't sure if I have to include the model/ at the beginning :3 people told be different stuff.

7. A Boojum Snark

aa A Boojum Snark Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado

Positive Ratings:
    If I remember right, the rad file should be in the same directory as vrad.

8. Lampenpam

aa Lampenpam

Positive Ratings:
    So then it would be in common/team fortress 2/bin but when I place it there the compile log just said that it can't find the rad file again.

9. A Boojum Snark

aa A Boojum Snark Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado

Positive Ratings:
    Well, try removing the line without models\, because you do need that (just look at the default one).
    You could also try added a texture light (just use something you aren't using) to your rad file and see if that makes it "see" the texture shadow lines.