Lights Pack - 20 new light models

LIGHTS and LAMPS 2015-08-30

Acumen

Annoyer
aa
Jun 11, 2009
Hi you guys :)
in the last couple of days i've been working hard on finishing modeling all of these following lights and lamps. I thought this might be something that many mappers could need. So this is why i'm posting in here. Before i go on and uv, texture and compile all of these i wanted to ask you guys which light sources fit in the tf2-universe and which don't. I did a render with and without colors so you can choose on which screenshot you wanna base your choice.

Summary:
It would be really cool, if you guys could just post your thoughts on the models - which ones are DO (would look nice in the tf2-universe) or DON'T (would look ouf of place in any tf2-map) for you ? You could just post and say:
7 and 17 look out of place
for example :)

On another note, it would be really cool if you had further light source suggestions - maybe more lanterns for "mine scenarios" or whatever floats your boat. So if you have an idea for more lamps/lights (walls, floors, ceilings) just go ahead and post pictures of them. I just want to make sure this time i'm getting the models done together and not have to start over and over again :)

Your feedback would be really really helpful for me!!!

Screenshots:

Shaded:
lights_parade2.jpg

Colored:
lights_parade1.jpg

Last edited:

Ravidge

Grand Vizier
aa
May 14, 2008
1, 6, 10, 13, 14, 16, 19, 21, 23, 26 = Ones I would consider to use.
The rest are either already in the game basically (7,8 & 3,4) or just not appealing to me.

Good job either way, it's an impressive collection :)

Ezekel

L11: Posh Member
Dec 16, 2008
look good mostly. i might find a use for number 25 and 10.
i think that the texturing doesn't really feel quite right compared to what we already have in tf2.
the light "bulbs" or equivalent on all of them look like solid plastic to me, instead of translucent material
did you base these off the lights in spore's vehicle editor?

FlavorRage

L4: Comfortable Member
Oct 12, 2008
All of those look great!

EDIT: It looks like the "lights" menu when you build a spaceship in spore :O

Acumen

Annoyer
aa
Jun 11, 2009
@ Ravidge: thx so much, that was exactly the feedback i was looking for !

@Ezekel: these are not textured, yet. like i wrote, i wanted to get your feedback first, so i know which one you guys would use and the rest will just stay untextured as it is now. it's just solid colors assigned :)

Again, if you guys have other light suggestions, keep them posted in here, i'd be glad to model them after your reference pics and include them in the model pack

Spore ? while i know the game from videos i've never seen these editors you're talking about. any comparison screens for me check ?

Last edited:

TMP

Ancient Pyro Main
aa
Aug 11, 2008
I don't see any of them as bad. I would use any of these in a heartbeat, especially 19.

Sgt Frag

L14: Epic Member
May 20, 2008
I don't think 11,12 and 26 really fit. 13 is boring. 25, mm, maybe, maybe too art deco. 24 might be a little art deco too.

7 doesn't look out of place imo. 17 I think could be a spytechy spot light, if not make something in that shape that looks more like 5 and 6, I like the angle of it, could make for cool lighting.

19 looks more like a speaker. (which could be useful)

I like 21 better than 22.

Nice pack to offer!

Vigilante212

L420: High Member
Dec 21, 2008
They look good, maybe a bit too plasticy though. How about a round truck headlamp sitting on top of a battery I think that would make a unique light

Acumen

Annoyer
aa
Jun 11, 2009
@ Sgt Frag: thanks a ton - it's good to see, i often had similar feelings about certain models, but just needed a second opinion to get it in my head :)

@Vigilante212: they're not textured yet, that's why they are all equally lit and material like

if you give me a picture for your suggestion, i'd be glad to have a deeper look into it :D

@ everyone else: still feel free to post light model suggestions, if you think i'm totally missing out on some more lightsource variations

Vigilante212

Dec 21, 2008
Last edited:

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
These all look amazing. I'd use any of them given the chance/appropriate theme.

2 and 4 look a bit odd. They look nice, but i would probably favor another light over those two. Like 3.

1 would be nicer i think if it didn't have that sideways gaurd. Like a long version of 22.

8 would look less submarine-y without the bolts. But then i guess it would be just like the current official TF2 version of this light.

I probably wouldn't use 25, but it does look nice.

Number 7 would look nice with a single gaurd over it. Vertical or horizontal. Like 9 without the vertical gaurds. But the gaurd shouldn't be round like a wire like most of your guards. More like a 2mm wide by 20mm thick sorta like: http://www.autochamp.co.th/2008/Product/510328120437.jpg

Acumen

Annoyer
aa
Jun 11, 2009
Vigilante212, i'm definately making the 2nd light. i didn't really get the first one, though. sounds rather complicated to me :D

thanks, grazr ! very precious feedback you gave. especially with the guard suggestions. i'll keep that in mind !

edit: kk, finished the suggestion from Vigilante212. i really like it from the looks. i'll definately include it in the pack.

light35_render.jpg

Last edited:

Acumen

Annoyer
aa
Jun 11, 2009
i really do like the first one with its holding thing, if it's made a bit more cartoony.

the other three are a bit too complex and decadent for my taste. i really wanted to make sure the lights could be place in a typical tf2map without a special setting.
you know what i mean ? the tf2lamps are very downtoearth and not that sophisticated.

edit: kk, did compile a first test lamp there and tried several texture variations. the left and right version have these rounded light blobs painted in - i don't know if that fits too well with the tf2-stuff - i tend to get rid of the light blobs ^^ and the right one also has some scratches on the outside. what do you guys think ?

light21_ingame.jpg

Last edited:

Vigilante212

Dec 21, 2008
The scraches look good, but i doubt anyone will notice the lightbulbs inside from a distance or even when lit.

Acumen

Annoyer
aa
Jun 11, 2009
yeh, you're absolutely right. it's only visible from special angles - took some time, till i had them on the screenshot, actually :D
so i guess, i'll go with and without scratches and maybe 2 color versions.
thanks so much for your frequent replies, Vigilante212 !

MadMax

L1: Registered
Mar 25, 2009
Fantastic selection of light models there and would use quite a few of them myself..

1 thing i would love to see is street lamps with matching wall lamps like the 3D pic below

http://www.pangea3d.com/thumb/1_lamps2 logo_0708o084955.jpg

http://img.diytrade.com/cdimg/86989...ng_t8_recessed_light_fixture_grid_troffer.jpg

could even go as far as a garden light just for extra detail
http://www.solarcap.com/Product/images/outdoor_lighting/solar_garden_light/plastic_light/SL1011.jpg

or

http://www.wilkinsonplus.com/content/ebiz/wilkinsonplus/invt/0250129/0250129_l.jpg

but without the solar on the top bit like a light stick
dunno if it would suit TF2 but would love to see more Lights + Lamps

more light models there better ;)

SiniStarR

L8: Fancy Shmancy Member
Mar 31, 2009
What about giving #26 red and blu skins where the brown skin is? Excuse me if it's already been brought up.

Acumen

Annoyer
aa
Jun 11, 2009
@SiniStarR: nothing's final so far ! it's just colors at the moment and i'll definately be doing some skin variations - 3 right from the start, so nobody asks if its possible to include more :D
but not for every lamp. i looked up the tf2-lights for reference ;)

hey, MadMax, some 1 or 2 good refpics, i'll have another look at and try to incorporate in the tf2 world. i'm all for some more lanterns i just think it's quite tricky to really match the tf2-style on them

on top of these wall lights i have some standing and hanging lights as well, just didn't find time to render them. here's a sneak for the standing stuff:

light10_render.jpg