lighting problems

• If you're asking a question make sure to set the thread type to be a question!

socktopus

L1: Registered
Dec 10, 2008
Hey everyone, I'm having a very weird lighting issue, hoping someone can help.

I have two light_spots set up to light the fronts of each team's respective base, with the map being mirrored across the center. The lights are identically set up but the one on the Red side is giving off about 90% less light than the one on the Blu side.

The lights are in a fairly open space and nothing is blocking either of them. I've tried changing the intensity of the light from 1600 to 3200, removing surrounding lights and changing the light_environment to shine away from the area so other light sources wouldn't be interfering, removing and rebuilding the non-working light + associated props, cloning the working light/props and moving them to replace the broken one, moving the light around to different spots in the area (within a 160 unit radius of the original position), and rotating the entire map to change the light's position in the world, none of which has fixed it. Both sides have identical geometry and visleaf cutting, and I'm compiling the map normally, with no HDR, and no compiling errors. Every other light in the map works correctly except this one.

I have no idea what could be causing this, and have never run into anything similar. If anyone has any insight as to what's going on with it, it would be a great help!

Here's a side by side comparison of the two lights
brokenlightcomparison.jpg

Last edited:

ics

http://ics-base.net
aa
Jun 17, 2010
Try adding walls around the light, both of them. See if the other light changes to darker or the other more bright. Enclose it in small pocket inside a map just for test.

socktopus

L1: Registered
Dec 10, 2008
Solved this, I'm just an idiot. I had an old preliminary light halfway embedded inside a prop that was pretty much unnoticeable in any view. Oy. Learning is fun.

Last edited: