Lighting issues?

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by DrSquishy, Jul 12, 2017.

1. DrSquishy

DrSquishy L8: Fancy Shmancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    When compiling my map, recently I have been turning off VRAD compilation as I got my lighting mostly working. Recent I have been turning it back on but none of my lights work at all. The map is almost completely black even though I have all my lights enabled and properly positioned. What am I doing wrong?

2. Vel0city

aa Vel0city func_fish

Positive Ratings:
    Turn off VRAD? What? Why? Do that and you'll have fullbright, not proper lighting.

Anyway, check if a light is inside a brush somewhere, that can cause pitch blackness. Or leaks, that can do that too.

3. DrSquishy

Positive Ratings:
    Definitely no leaks and the whole map is shrouded in darkness. I turned off VRAD for actual testing and for a faster compile

4. Lampenpam

aa Lampenpam

Positive Ratings:
    compile parts of your map with :cordonedit::cordonenable: until you found the part where you have no lighting. You probably have some borked brush in this area.

5. DrSquishy

Positive Ratings:
    So potentially one bad brush may be completely breaking the lighting for the whole map?

6. Lampenpam

aa Lampenpam

Positive Ratings:
    Pretty much, yeah.

Eventually it just got screwed after vertex eiting, remaking unusual shaped brushes in your problem area usually fixes it

7. DrSquishy

Positive Ratings: