lighting for large models?

Ezekel

L11: Posh Member
Dec 16, 2008
so in most cases, having the lighting for a model being taken from it's origin or an info light is well and good.
however sometimes you have a model (e.g. a pipe) that goes from a bright to dark area. and you get it's lighting not matching up to the next pipe model, or the surrounding area on one side.
well i've seen this in valve maps, such as badwaterbasin. (the white pipe in the building next to the 1st point, that goes through a wall) so i guess it's acceptable to a certain extent.

however, large models, like the rocks from badlands (where cp 2 and 4 sit) can look rather odd if they are 1/2 in shadow, particularly if there's other, smaller rock models around it's base. this sorta situation makes the large rock bright and fully lit, while the smaller rocks are all shadowy/dark.
so is there a way to get models that are large to get lit a little more realistically?

Spike

L10: Glamorous Member
Feb 13, 2008
so in most cases, having the lighting for a model being taken from it's origin or an info light is well and good.
however sometimes you have a model (e.g. a pipe) that goes from a bright to dark area. and you get it's lighting not matching up to the next pipe model, or the surrounding area on one side.
well i've seen this in valve maps, such as badwaterbasin. (the white pipe in the building next to the 1st point, that goes through a wall) so i guess it's acceptable to a certain extent.

however, large models, like the rocks from badlands (where cp 2 and 4 sit) can look rather odd if they are 1/2 in shadow, particularly if there's other, smaller rock models around it's base. this sorta situation makes the large rock bright and fully lit, while the smaller rocks are all shadowy/dark.
so is there a way to get models that are large to get lit a little more realistically?

You can modify the light origin, I've never used it but you can. There's an option on the prop propieties

Ezekel

L11: Posh Member
Dec 16, 2008
yes, but that still will give the same effect.

the prop still gets lit uniformly all over

Gadget

aa
Mar 10, 2008
Usually if you compile your map with normal or fast vrad settings this is going to happen so you have to do a full compile to get nice lighting on props. As Youme said, use those commands for vrad in expert mode and it will take longer to compile but it will look nice.

-both -StaticPropLighting -StaticPropPolys -textureshadows -final