Lighting Error

Mar 23, 2013
If I set VIS to anything but fast my pc takes 8 or so hours to compile

In this case you should go to map>load portal file
hammer will now display "visleafs" which are generated around your map. When compiling VIS, hammer calculates which visleaf can "see" other visleafs. Now if you have a lot of small brushes used for details, like tables, shelfes, support beams, then they will generate a lot of small visleavs and if you have a lot and small visleafs hammer will take forever to calculate VIS.

So you have to turn the smaller brushes, which are causing bad visleafs into func_detail entities. Visleavs will ignore func_details when they are generated, but func_details do NOT seal the map, so be carefull what you are func_detailing.

This tutorial might give more insight: http://www.tophattwaffle.com/hammer-tutorial-v2-series-6-basic-optimization/

RAD should take more time to compile then VIS. Also do never turn displacements into func_detail or any other entities, they don't cut visleafs anyway

Lain

lobotomy success story
aa
Jan 8, 2015
This is getting insane. Now when I compile the map, just sometimes it will compile with random brushes missing, usually from the blu side.

Mar 23, 2013
This is getting insane. Now when I compile the map, just sometimes it will compile with random brushes missing, usually from the blu side.

disable radius culling. the button at the top with the R in the red circle. This option is plain useless and causes compile errors.
If it is already disabled, check your compile log for errors

LeNitrous

L2: Junior Member
Feb 11, 2015
Use Block Light? Thats what I read from the Valve Dev Wiki but it might look ugly... Sorry, mapping noob here but I tried to help though

Mar 23, 2013
Use Block Light? Thats what I read from the Valve Dev Wiki but it might look ugly... Sorry, mapping noob here but I tried to help though

what problem are you refering to? The one from the OP? How should block light help there?