Lighting error at edges of displacements

• If you're asking a question make sure to set the thread type to be a question!

Earl

L6: Sharp Member
Dec 21, 2007
A picture is worth a thousand words:

How do i get the lighting to be seamless? The 4 displacements here are sewn together, and are nearly flat (except for a little noise). This is happening with all the other displacements in my map.

dirtyminuth

L5: Dapper Member
Nov 5, 2007
Worked with displacements a lot and have never come across this. A couple obvious ideas:

Have you tried sewing the displacements together? Select all of them, Go to the Texture Application Tool (Shift-A), locate the "Sew" button.

Are you sure the displacement brushes are aligned? Confirm this in a 2D view with the Vextex Manipulation tool.

Make sure the texture you're using for the displacements is intended for world geometry. Any texture with a models/props/ prefix (or similar) is one to avoid.

Earl

L6: Sharp Member
Dec 21, 2007
Figured it out. I had accidentally created displacements on all sides of the base brush, causing the normals to be averaged at the edges. Since I just copy/pasted for all displacements in the map, the error persisted throughout.