light_environment is it possible to make a trigger to disable one and enable another?

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Eternal, Jul 8, 2009.

1. Eternal

Eternal L69: Deviant Member

Positive Ratings:
    Ok here is the thing, I want to create a multi part map with 1 part outdoors and another part indoors. Obviously for the most part I don't want the same light_environment for both parts so is it possible to make it so that once the round progresses to the next section of the map it changes to a dif light_environment?

2. TracerDX

TracerDX L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    Absolute answer: no.

You can use regular light entities and switch them about, but as far as light_environment goes, no. Absolutely not.

3. Eternal

Positive Ratings:
    What about stuff like fog control or shadow control? Specially fog if there is a large room indoors it would look a little weird to have the same fog as outside in the rain (using the same settings as sawmill currently, but I'll probably tweak it a bit)

I doubt there is (I doubted there was for environment lighting but I figured its worth asking) but it would be nice to know for sure.

4. Malcolm

Malcolm L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    As far as I know, at least the fog is rendered dynamically and so can be changed while running the map. Valve does that too, by the way. Check the 2fort sample map for further information ;)

5. JoshuaC

JoshuaC L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    Apparently someone on the gmod forums was able to make one turn on and off. Haven't tried it myself though.

6. TracerDX

Positive Ratings:
    You can control the fog entities. The problem is they effect all players at once in a multiplayer game.

7. Stormcaller3801

Stormcaller3801 L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    What if you had two separate skyboxes? I had the impression from elsewhere that a given light_env in a skybox affects only that skybox.

8. A Boojum Snark

aa A Boojum Snark Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado

Positive Ratings:
    No they don't. As Malcolm said you can control a particular player's fog like they do in 2fort.

To the original issue: why would you need a different light_env for the indoors? If it's indoors the outside light isn't going illuminate the whole place... (it casts from the sky material, it's not a "global" light)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. Penguin

aa Penguin Clinically Diagnosed with Small Mapper's Syndrome

Positive Ratings:
    This would acctually be pretty cool to figure out.

I wanna see a map that goes from day to night to day again.

Sniper Stakeout, bro.

10. TracerDX

Positive Ratings:
    By bad, :facepalm though Malcolm said nothing of the sort.

11. Yourself

Yourself L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    The thing is, the properties of the light_environment entity are "baked" into the map when it's compiled.

12. JoshuaC

JoshuaC L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    So are regular light entities, and you can make those turn on and off/flicker.

13. Psy

aa Psy The Imp Queen

Positive Ratings:
    And that means that the map needs 2 lightmaps for every surface that the light bounces off. Imagine the same thing for a whole map? That would almost double the filesize.

14. Eternal

Positive Ratings:
    They aren't "steamed" in? *snicker* ;3