light_environment is it possible to make a trigger to disable one and enable another?

Eternal

L69: Deviant Member
Jul 8, 2009
Ok here is the thing, I want to create a multi part map with 1 part outdoors and another part indoors. Obviously for the most part I don't want the same light_environment for both parts so is it possible to make it so that once the round progresses to the next section of the map it changes to a dif light_environment?

TracerDX

L3: Member
Jun 9, 2009
Absolute answer: no.

You can use regular light entities and switch them about, but as far as light_environment goes, no. Absolutely not.

Eternal

L69: Deviant Member
Jul 8, 2009
What about stuff like fog control or shadow control? Specially fog if there is a large room indoors it would look a little weird to have the same fog as outside in the rain (using the same settings as sawmill currently, but I'll probably tweak it a bit)

I doubt there is (I doubted there was for environment lighting but I figured its worth asking) but it would be nice to know for sure.

Malcolm

Jul 10, 2008
As far as I know, at least the fog is rendered dynamically and so can be changed while running the map. Valve does that too, by the way. Check the 2fort sample map for further information ;)

TracerDX

Jun 9, 2009
You can control the fog entities. The problem is they effect all players at once in a multiplayer game.

Stormcaller3801

L5: Dapper Member
Jul 5, 2009
What if you had two separate skyboxes? I had the impression from elsewhere that a given light_env in a skybox affects only that skybox.

A Boojum Snark

Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado
aa
Nov 2, 2007
You can control the fog entities. The problem is they effect all players at once in a multiplayer game.

No they don't. As Malcolm said you can control a particular player's fog like they do in 2fort.

To the original issue: why would you need a different light_env for the indoors? If it's indoors the outside light isn't going illuminate the whole place... (it casts from the sky material, it's not a "global" light)

Penguin

Clinically Diagnosed with Small Mapper's Syndrome
aa
May 21, 2009
This would acctually be pretty cool to figure out.

I wanna see a map that goes from day to night to day again.

Sniper Stakeout, bro.

Yourself

L1: Registered
Jun 13, 2009
The thing is, the properties of the light_environment entity are "baked" into the map when it's compiled.

Psy

The Imp Queen
aa
Apr 9, 2008
So are regular light entities, and you can make those turn on and off/flicker.

And that means that the map needs 2 lightmaps for every surface that the light bounces off. Imagine the same thing for a whole map? That would almost double the filesize.