light_dynamic, does it work?

hutty

aa
Mar 30, 2014
I'm trying to get the light_dynamic entity to work, but I can't seem to make it do anything. Does this entity do anything in TF2? And how do I make it do things.

hutty

aa
Mar 30, 2014
Nevermind, I found this thread http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2845508

Following these instructions will make the light work.

Once dynamic lights are set up right, they work wonderfully.
This is what i do if i want a dynamic light: (possibly not all steps required)
1) make a info_target and set the light´s "entity to point at" to point at it
2) click "point at" button in Pith Yaw Roll and click on the target entity
3) set Pitch value the same number as first value in Pitch Yaw Roll

there are other values my working light uses..
light color: 60 184 251 200
light brightness: 8
inner and outer angle: 85
max. distance: 1500
spotlight radius: 650

hutty

aa
Mar 30, 2014
Well, I'm stuck again, and this time page 2 of google isn't going to bail me out.
zhQVmMW.png

Light dynamic has two checkboxes for editing displacement alpha, I cannot seem to get them to do anything. When activated the light stops illuminating the world, but the displacement in range never changes. I've tried all sorts of combinations of values and was unable to get it to work. Does this value do anything? or is it one of those vestigial things left over from HL2's development.

hutty

aa
Mar 30, 2014
light doesn't have the checkboxes for messing with displacement alpha, which is the why I want to use a light_dynamic

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
What do you want to do to the displacement alpha? Come to think of it, what do light entities have to do with them in the first place? Displacement alpha means the blend between whatever two textures are available in a blend material, yes?

hutty

aa
Mar 30, 2014
Editing displacement alpha on the fly would be a very powerful feature, it opens up a whole slew of visual effects. Not to mention if it works we could go full splatoon with experimental gamemodes.
I'm not sure why its in light_dynamic though.

Crowbar

Spiritual preprocessor
aa
Dec 19, 2015
Aren't displacements pretty static?.. I'm guessing that could be an unimplemented/removed function.