Light in map not working; no leak

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Qwertymenow, Jun 30, 2015.

1. Qwertymenow

Qwertymenow L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    So, I was merrily mapping away on my first map, when I came across a production halting error: the lights in my map won't render. Even weirder, a small room that is enclosed with a block light texture still has working light in it. I tried to load the point file to check for a leak, but there isn't one. This is quite frustrating, and any help would be very nice.
    [​IMG]
    A screenshot of the only light in the map.

2. tyler

aa tyler snail prince, master of a ruined tower

Positive Ratings:
    Are your lights inside anything, blocked by anything, named? Are you running vvis? Did you put your compile log through Interlopers?

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Qwertymenow

Positive Ratings:
    1: They are inside of lamps, but the lamps are set to no shadows, they aren't blocked, and they aren't named.
    2: Yes, I am
    3: and yes. It found some errors, but nothing that I'd think would cause this.
    If it helps, here's the compile log. If you run it through interlopers, disregard the errors about area portals, I don't have any in my map.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2015
  4. Qwertymenow

Positive Ratings:
    I just realized how long that compile log is. wow.

edit:
    derp, I just copied the whole log, from the .log file. woops

edit 2:
    so interlopers is saying that vvis, vrad, and vbsp were not run. I don't know why not.

5. tyler

Positive Ratings:
    Pull your lights out of the light models. The actual bounding box can block light. That could be it.

I can't examine the log right now though as I'm on mobile. Hopefully someone else appears.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Qwertymenow

Positive Ratings:
    Nope, still doesn't work... Just so you know, the light does shine on my viewmodel, and the light in the room is identical to all of the others.

7. tyler

Positive Ratings:
    Now that I'm home, I'm not sure the log you posted is complete?

It also says there's a prop without a defined model somewhere.

Did you do alt+p to check for invalid solids in hammer?

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Qwertymenow

Positive Ratings:
    The only errors that come up with alt+p in hammer are "entity has unused keyvalue 'angle'" errors. I'll post another compile log, just in case the other one isn't complete.

9. tyler

Positive Ratings:
    OK, well, according to interlopers you didn't delete the prop without a model specified.

That could very well be it. Fix it, and see if that changes anything. If not, someone may need to look at your VMF to figure it out unless you can think of other pertinent info to add.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. worMatty

aa worMatty Repacking Evangelist

Positive Ratings:
    I saw this recently but can't remember what the fix was. There were 100 'fake' bounces even though there was a hard limit of 16 in the compile tools. I think it might have been talked about in the Steam chat room.

See if this helps: http://forums.tf2maps.net/showthread.php?t=21921

Alternatively, some of the other places on the web suggest cordoning off sections of the map and compiling them, to narrow down the cause. It seems it can be caused by one brush in particular. Maybe it's invalid or just uses the number of the beast or something.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. Qwertymenow

Positive Ratings:
    So, I looked in note pad, but it can not for the life of it find two quotation marks beside each other. I'm okay with posting my map online (it's not as if anyone would steal it or something). Do you know a good sharing service I can use without having to log in?

12. tyler

Positive Ratings:
    You can just put it in a .zip file and upload it to the site's download section if you like.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. Qwertymenow

Positive Ratings:
  14. tyler

Positive Ratings:
    [​IMG]

Found it. It's in the wall near your blue spawn.

[​IMG]

I have to finish my homework. Delete that and try compiling. If it doesn't work still, hopefully someone will be able to help you before I'm done with all my work. If not, I'll try doing some more troubleshooting later.

Also don't use capital letters for map names. They break Linux servers. It doesn't look like a final map name, but just FYI.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. Qwertymenow

Positive Ratings:
    I deleted it, but still no go. Running the compile log through Interlopers yields no errors. Also, as a side note, thank you for spending your time on this. :)

16. Tumbolisu

aa Tumbolisu  I ⌄ I 

Positive Ratings:
    Im just gonna fly through the map and write down every single little thing that goes through my mind:

God damn why is it a diaper skybox-box? Just use cordon.
    Overlapping brushes here and there...
    This entire room is covered in playerclip. what?
    Oh its a func_respawnroom. You cant use playerclip on these! Use the trigger texture.
    A light entity with loverly orange. Max. distance is at 100. That thing cant even reach the nearest wall!
    This door is using a HL texture. Use the keyword "tf" while in the texture browser.
    Container-prop-spam.
    Random entities stuck into the floor.
    Light_spots have 2000 max distance. Just make it 0 god damn.
    Whats the point in block-lighting this entire... room?
    You are using decals where everyone else would use overlays (for obvious reasons).
    Dat amount of hazard strips. And why is the func_nobuild textured in nodraw? Use the trigger texture! You know what, remove the nobuild entirely!
    Don't make a nodrawed func_brush just to put overlays on it that show "pickup here!". Put down a little wooden or metal thing. It doesn't have to be an overlay, it just needs to stick out.
    Hilarious staircases.
    Gigantig platform-railing things.
    84 computer props in one room.
    1712 unit high walls and you put lamps on the ceiling as if it were an office. Just use the skylight.
    Incredibly long hallway underground. Nobody is gonna like going there, fucking nobody. The only reason to go there is to make sure that the other team isn't.
    Making areas look a little bit more different would not just help navigation ingame, but also navigation in hammer. Where am i?
    Ok I seem to have reached the end after all this. Welp. Time to correct my spelling on this.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. Qwertymenow

Positive Ratings:
    Hur hur hur. Thanks for the input, Tumbolisu. I know there's a lot of issues, but this is my first map.

18. tyler

Positive Ratings:
    So I'm not done, but I thought I'd check in, and he might be onto something. I didn't look at your lights, but your rooms are way too massive. (I didn't say anything because it's obviously your first map and I'm sure you know that's not tenable for regular play. Trade maps, maybe, but even those aren't so horribly made anymore as server owners realized that giant boxes are unoptimizeable.)

You can definitely use a cordon for now instead of that giant skybrush box, but later you should work on sealing normally. He's probably correct about the falloff distances too. Your rooms are massive, and if your lights are only shooting 50 units or whatever, that means they aren't hitting your walls hundreds or thousands of units away. I'd definitely try editing all the light ents to have 0 distance (meaning infinite) and seeing what happens. You can save a lot of compile time by making all the areas smaller first, too, or just using a cordon for part of it.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  19. Qwertymenow

Positive Ratings:
    Well, instead of spending my summer holiday trying to optimize what is obviously a dead end (it's my first map, what did I expect :)), I'm going to start a brand new map with all of the skills I've learned. Thanks to everyone for their fast replies, especially tyler. If anyone still feels like solving the problem, go ahead, but I don't need it fixed.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  20. MoonFox

MoonFox L10: Glamorous Member

Positive Ratings:
    so far besides what the others have said, it simply equates to improper light sources. check the properties of the lights, and could someone give me the download link?