Let's talk about Cactus Canyon

LS53_the_Cunt

L1: Registered
Aug 29, 2018
'Ello there I wanted to talk to y'all about Cactus Canyon a map that valve forgot. Now I'm no voice in the matter, in fact I'm a insignificant guy who plays tf2 and made one really bad ctf map. But Cactus Canyon is
my favorite map in the game and probably to many others so why is it left abandoned?

I know that valve is a stingy company with their work on what you want motto but still Cactus Canyon is a fairly decent payload map that would fit the other fairly decent payload maps. Still the chances that valve would spend time on Cactus Canyon are slim, so if valve doesn't want to finish it why don't we the community? I mean the community makes 99% of the maps these days and we all know what happened when valve made their own map back in jungle inferno. There are some amazing people that could make Cactus Canyon a great looking map.

Yet I'm still confused why nobody has done this before. It has been 4 years since it was abandoned and I've still not seen anyone trying to finish it plus the map is already close to being complete so why don't we do the un done parts? Idk something I had to take of my chest, This will probably be unnoticed and ignored but I'll at least be happy to know somebody read it through. So thank you

RevolutionTeam

L4: Comfortable Member
May 19, 2019
Well, let's go through what happened to Cactus Canyon, and it's deranged cousin, Asteroid.

Both were added to the game as part of beta testing, and were extremely buggy. Cactus Canyon once had three stages, but the second was removed. The map wasn't even close to complete. Eventually, both maps were removed from rotation, probably due to a lack of initiative behind the project, and it was forgotten.

Due to how far from being finished the map was, finishing it would take months, and what for? Nobody would pay any attention to it.

RevolutionTeam

May 19, 2019
Really? Wow, they really changed it!

fubarFX

The "raw" in "nodraw"
aa
Jun 1, 2009
I imagine pl_cactuscanyon and rd_asteroid are just like a ton of other unfinished Valve maps that are forever stuck in limbo. The only reason we got to see pl_cactuscanyon and rd_asteroid is because those were the active maps when they decided to try out the map beta program. It's likely we will never see pl_cactuscanyon and rd_asteroid finished, just like countless maps we've never heard of.

RevolutionTeam

May 19, 2019
True. HOWEVER, Cactus Canyon and Asteroid are different because we know they exist.

RevolutionTeam

May 19, 2019
What, do you know about a mysterious third beta map that was cancelled?

Also, just checked out Dogbread's video... neat.