Left for dead dissappointment

Oct 6, 2008
Ok, maybe I got caught up in they hype and maybe not.

Installed L4D 3 days ago and although I got a couple of really quick rushes out of it, I now find it boring, repeditive and seriously flawed in the AI settings.

When it comes to mapping, you play the same ones over and over again and although some of the attacks come from random directions it's easily avoidable for some of the attack.

For example, on the cornfield map, I moved off to the side (didn't care if I died) and got on a rock a long way from the house with a cliff behind me. The final hordes got activated and they all ran to the house - I saw 10 zombies max and stood there blasting away with a sniper rifle. It seemed as if the AI didn't even know I was there or else chose to ignore me even though I was killing several before they got to my buddies.

I've found this type of thing a lot in the game - if one of you stands bedind a open door in a hallway - the hordes just rush by - and you blast them from behind.

Anyone else finding it disappointing?

drp

aa
Oct 25, 2007
is this versus or campaign?
i play the game weekly, but versus is where its at.

ChronoTriggerFan

L420: High Member
Feb 3, 2008
I find it fun still, but the kind of game to play multiple times a week. I don't really see a problem with the AI either. It seems what your describing is the zombies are attacking the other people grouped together, which are closer to them. Difficulty level might play into it as well.

TMP

Ancient Pyro Main
aa
Aug 11, 2008
Yeah, playing on Expert or Versus is the reason to play.

Or DL4Ding it.

TheDarkerSideofYourShadow

L10: Glamorous Member
Apr 12, 2008
I play with people I know from other games. I've only done Coop once, since we usually do versus with 8 people we know. Gets fun too, as they are usually from wow and on competing sides of the same server, so there is an extra element of tension.

cornontheCoD

Mar 25, 2008
just wait until the giant DLC pack comes out this month, then it will be extremely fun. The new survival mode looks amazing. :wow:

drp

aa
Oct 25, 2007
survival will add years to the game's replayability

GrimGriz

Jan 2, 2009
What's survival mode supposed to be, just no respawning for teh hoomans>?

I think there has to be something seriously wrong with the AI, as it's almost always better to hold up far away from the turret....which is where you'd think the developers intended for you to make your stand.

ChronoTriggerFan

Feb 3, 2008
Survival is pretty much a more brutal version of a finale. Boss infected come at you more frequently, constant swarms of zombies, and limited supplies.

I don't see how defense away from a turret has to do with AI. Its dynamic pathfinding is very well done. I might note that a zombie starts out knowing to attack one character, and they usually don't stop to change targets.

GrimGriz

Jan 2, 2009
I don't see how defense away from a turret has to do with AI.

I was looking at it from the angle that it's easier to defend from weird positions because the AI doesn't seem to adjust accordingly. For example, the last time I joined a campaign on the last part of death toll, they all just hung out on one of the rocks in the water because the AI didn't know how to deal with that happening.

ChronoTriggerFan

Feb 3, 2008
I think its more of a map design flaw, because zombie spawn passages don't center around that area, and they can't climb up the ledge easily. It's more a matter of choosing the house over the rock to defend, simply because its more fun, and you're trying to have fun :p

Oct 6, 2008
Exactly,

If you stand on the rock, you hardly get any action, the zombies can’t get up and when the tanks come they don’t see you and then leave.

In Dead Air – if you get set up on one of the gangways – you can cover your buddies sniping – the AI only sends a couple of zombies your way in a horde and as long as you can keep your left side blocked (the walls can break) you’re good to go for a long time – however you can’t help buddies if knocked down – too far to run between waves.

Note: safehouse gangway tends to breed smokers and hunters there – you’ll need a buddy to watch your back

GrimGriz

Jan 2, 2009
Anyone finding versus disappointing? It's fun to try and play as infected, but it seems the most effective way as survivor is just to haul as much ass as possible...and there's not much fun in that (to me).

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
but it seems the most effective way as survivor is just to haul as much ass as possible...and there's not much fun in that (to me).

oh ho ho you're doing it so wrong! A good team can go at a snail's pace as survivours and totally smash the other team's score - its all about sticking together, looking out for each other's backs and not totally sucking (like 70%+ players do)

TheDarkerSideofYourShadow

Apr 12, 2008
Aye, rushing, while it can get you distance, usually ends up with someone being left behind or a lot of crap chasing you. Whats really important to to be patient and careful, especially with the boomer. The boomer is of course the most important infected, and you must get the survivors each time.

Oct 6, 2008
yep - I found that too in versus - haul ass as a unit and if they miss you at the start it's hard for them to catch up - esp the boomer

Mar

Banned
Feb 12, 2009
dude, WTF? This game is massive fun, going solo on advance, and 4 person co-op expert is some of the funnest shit I've done. Versus is great, but pretty hard unless you have a skilled team. Play as infected is amazing, and doing hunter walljumps is exhilarating.

If this was a real zombie invasion, you'd be hauling ass to. These zombies can break and climb over your fortifications, so staying still doesn't help you.

And if you do attempt to break the game, or play it in a way valve didn't really consider, and this way is way off the beaten path, I think it is acceptable for it to glitch, considering that 99% of players won't do that.

Apom

L6: Sharp Member
Sep 14, 2008
And if you do attempt to break the game, or play it in a way valve didn't really consider, and this way is way off the beaten path, I think it is acceptable for it to glitch, considering that 99% of players won't do that.
At this rate, underground sentries on cp_gravelpit were acceptable...

Mar

Banned
Feb 12, 2009
At this rate, underground sentries on cp_gravelpit were acceptable...

Um, no, becuase that is players going underground against other players. This is AI glitching. To clarify I meant that if you do something really off the path, like not going to the house on the farm level for the final fight, and the AI glitches, that's fine, becuase we've made no perfect AI.

Also the reason you didn't fight anyone is probably due to the fact that your fellow humans were in the house fighting the horde.