Left 4 Dead 2 Refused Classification in Australia

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Solynth, Sep 18, 2009.

1. Solynth

Solynth L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    Most of you have probably heard that L4D2 has been refused classification in Australia. This means that we may not be ever see the full L4D2 in Australia :(
    The reason is mostly because our stupid government only has an MA15+ rating for games, there is no R18+ rating. This is ridiculous considering the average age for gamers is around 25-30.

Here's the report from the OFLC. It sounds more like a good review of the game, rather than a reason for it being banned:

The Australian government is really retarted. We got a watered down version of Fallout 3 (without all the drugs and stuff) and it's easier to get real guns imported than bbguns :facepalm:

Please help sign this petition. I don't really know if it will do anything, but I really want to see this game, and I think it's stupid that the government is limiting what games we can and play, and it's insulting saying that we don't know the difference between real life, and fantasy.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2009
  2. Wegason

Wegason L4: Comfortable Member

Positive Ratings:
    Signed

3. Chaopsychochick

Chaopsychochick L4: Comfortable Member

Positive Ratings:
    Signed

That sucks though, stupid governments! I hate how they can effectively ban certain games because they do not approve of their content. Censorship ftl!

4. drp

aa drp

Positive Ratings:
    Nanny states ftl.

5. Wegason

Positive Ratings:
    Wasn't it GTA 4 that American politicians of a certain persuasion wanted to ban once they found out the character could pick up a female of a certain profession, drive to a secluded spot and engage in some extra-curricular activities.

Never mind the masses of violence, ability to randomly kill innocents, and glorification of gang culture, thats all fine per these politicians, but sex! Oh my god no!! That must be stopped at all costs less it corrupts the children!

Last edited: Sep 18, 2009
  6. Solynth

Positive Ratings:
    The thing is, they're trying to protect the kids, because the old faggot who is the head of the OFLC thinks only kids play games, which is wrong. If the game came out, and Australia had an R18+ rating, then it's the parents fault for buying an underage kid the game without even reading the classification. Why should the adults have to suffer, especially when they are the majority of gamers.

7. drp

aa drp

Positive Ratings:
    i think it was after the coffee cup mod. but i agree! it is pretty dumb.

8. owly-oop

aa owly-oop im birb

Positive Ratings:
    violent video games obviously causes everyone to go on violent killing sprees

9. RedWatch

RedWatch L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Signed.
    The goverments of the world are acting dumbass.
    EDIT:
    Toaster, one kid was exposed to GTA and went on a spree a while back.

10. Kronixx

Kronixx L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    doesn't TF2-Germany have like party mode enabled and locked so you can't change it. Everytime a body gibs it shows only balloons and confetti? Or was that another game i'm thinking of, i remember hearing germany had a game like that, not sure which title it was though but TF2 rings a bell

I would almost say showing balloons and confetti would be MORE harmful than blood and gore, cause if kids grow up shooting people and balloons come out, i'm gonna reckon a guess they will be pretty disappointed when they shoot 30 people at school and didn't find a single balloon to congratulate them

11. Wegason

Positive Ratings:
    You realise I'm on your side and support this petition? My example was meant to mock American politicians and American politics in general.

12. Ganonmaster

Ganonmaster L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    I want to be a politician when I grow up so I can ban games like Barbie in Magicland because they are offensive and stuff.

Signed.

13. Solynth

Positive Ratings:
    I know you're on my side, I was simply replying to "That must be stopped at all costs less it corrupts the children!" It's true that's what they think like, and it's ridiculous. As I said before, the average age for gamers in Australia is in the mid-twenties, and the OFLC think that games are for kids only, that's why we only have the MA15+ rating.

14. owly-oop

aa owly-oop im birb

Positive Ratings:
    oh mah gawd 1 kid out of a billion killed someone and he happened to play gta

that must mean everyone would do the same

15. Dr. Spud

aa Dr. Spud Grossly Incandescent

Positive Ratings:
    Don't get me started on that shit. There's a lot more contributing to violent kids than the games they happened to play before hand.

16. RedWatch

RedWatch L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    You think I don't know that?

17. Solynth

Positive Ratings:
    Have a look at this [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_banned_video_games"].[/ame], it's ridiculous. The amount of games that have been banned in Australia compared to other countries, all because we don't have an R18 classification for games. Michael Atkinson is the only one opposing to the classification. We need to spam his email saying that Australia needs an R18 rating for games, especially becuase the average age of gamers in Australia is in the mid-twenties.

18. LordNor

LordNor L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    /signed sorry mate, although i bet you someone will find a way to circumvent it

19. Cameron:D

Cameron:D L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    This is really fail.
    Someone want to buy me a copy in the US and ship it over? :p

20. Solynth

Positive Ratings:
    Hah, I suppose it would work offline, but I'm pretty sure Valve has a region lock on some games that are banned in certain countries. Like we can only get the watered down Fallout 3, and Manhunt is banned. So yeah...