Leak Problems

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by DisruptedHunter, Aug 20, 2012.

1. DisruptedHunter

DisruptedHunter L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    Hi guys, I'm making a map and I'm having problems with leaks. I through my compile log to Interlopers Error checker and it tells me I have a entity that is leaked along with a general leak in my map. I fix the entity leak, run the compiler checker again and it tells me that I have yet another and completely different entity that is leaked. I remove it, throw it back in the checker and it does the same thing.

As for the leak, I have looked through my entire map and could not find one; everything is closed nicely.

Just yesterday everything was working fine, I had no leak. Then I decided to make extend a wall, that's all I did, and then it told me I had a leak. Does anyone else have this problem?

2. tyler

aa tyler snail prince, master of a ruined tower

Positive Ratings:
    You have a leak. Hammer is not telling you there is a leak for fun. Your map isn't sealed.

On the right side of Hammer there's a thing that says "Visgroups". Click the Auto tab, then uncheck displacements, func_details, props, and brush entities. Now is that red line going into the void?

3. DisruptedHunter

Positive Ratings:
    When you say the red line, do you mean the Pointfile? If so, then it is going straight through a part of my map from the bottom into the void. When I recheck all those things you said to uncheck, it goes through my floor which is a func_detail displacement and then a a regular func_detail brush.

4. tyler

aa tyler snail prince, master of a ruined tower

Positive Ratings:
    ho ho ho holy shit dude

first thing: never func_detail a displacement, that breaks vbsp and your map wont compile

second thing: the reason i told you to turn those off is because none of them seal your map! i kinda left that part out of my post but it was heavily implied. only solid world geometry seals maps. if your floor is func_detail you may not understand the point of func_detail, read this http://www.optimization.interlopers.net/index.php?chapter=func_detail (and the rest of the guide too).

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. DisruptedHunter

Positive Ratings:
    I thought func_details are just default for brush tools, cause when I create one and press ctrl+t it says its a func_detail. Is there a way I can switch it back to a World Geometry brush? I'm looking at the VisiGroup Properties for the the func_detail brush but I can't check it.

I'll give the link a read

6. Pocket

aa Pocket func_croc

Positive Ratings:
    Move to World, which is right under Tie to Entity in the menu. Basically any brush that's big enough to obscure players' view of a big chunk of the map needs to be world geometry, because that's how the game avoids rendering things that wind up getting covered up.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Seba

aa Seba DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD

Positive Ratings:
    Alternatively ctrl-shift-w to move to world. Func_detail is the default brush entity assigned when you tie to a brush (ctrl-t) and which doesn't seal, doesn't block VVIS (the process that determines visibility), is solid and casts shadows.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. DisruptedHunter

Positive Ratings:
    So skyboxes need to be world brushes as well, correct? I was going through all my brushes and found one of them was a func_detail.

9. Kill_the_Bug

Kill_the_Bug L14: Epic Member

Positive Ratings:
    Correct - all exterior walls to you map need to be world brushes.

Here's a hint for quicker leak check - in the vis options panel - turn off almost everthing by unchecking

turn off

Displacements
    Player clips - other tool brushes, etc,
    all entities
    props
    func_details

Basically - what I'm getting at is, strip the map down to it's bare bones then do a compile.

If any of your outer walls are func_details you'll see a gaping hole in your map, if not and you are still getting a leak, load the pointfile and follow the line to where the leak is. If it's only 1 unit thick it's still big enough for a leak and you need to seal it.

extra:
    Then once you are done that you can start to add in you area portals and then check for those leaks - those are easier to find as they are all within your world and showt you the start to finish on the same brush.

Once you have sealed your out world - check everything back on the right to bring them back into the map - then test again - if any or your entities are outside the map then you can quickly find the offending party and fix it.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. DisruptedHunter

Positive Ratings:
    Thanks so much for the help guys. I got everything working now; I had to revert my boundaries back to world brushes.