Large Chains

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by phatal, Feb 26, 2008.

1. phatal

phatal L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    Is there anything in the SDK to assist me in making very large chains? I need some chains to hold my rocket.

2. Armadillo of Doom

aa Armadillo of Doom Group Founder, Lover of Pie

Positive Ratings:
    There aren't any models, if that's what you're asking. Make a few cylinders and stretch them. Add a metal texture and see how it looks.

3. drp

aa drp

Positive Ratings:
    this made me LOL
    i dont think there are any chain models in the game. you can try and do something with brushes. ;)

4. YM

aa YM LVL100 YM

Positive Ratings:
    You might be able to make a chain texture then apply it to a really thick wire.
    This would be the easiest solution imo

5. Snipergen

Snipergen L13: Stunning Member

Positive Ratings:
    loooool now i get it.

I believe youme has got a good solution, or like always, need something? Model it!

6. Hawk

Hawk L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    You make actually have to settle for cables or something. And cables would be easy with the rope entities.

7. YM

aa YM LVL100 YM

Positive Ratings:
    Thats exactly what I said, but if you make a custom texture to apply to the move_rope then you can make it look like a chain.

8. MangyCarface

aa MangyCarface Mapper

Positive Ratings:
    Some sort of complex brushwork can do this, it'd be easier the less dense (read: the less links in the chain) that you make it. If you use square links, which aren't all that uncommon, you could easily make a 4 brush link and copy and paste it, rotating, to make the entire chain. Select them all and tie to entity func_detail.

This might be a pain but I can see it having decent results if you make the chains large enough.