Languid's artpass (tangent)

Discussion in 'Map Factory' started by Languid, Sep 16, 2010.

1. Languid

Languid L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    Oh dear god I have not utilized my time for this contest well. Only red spawn to do, and then tweaking.

someone please PLEASE tell me how to get my props to be lit properly like valve do instead of looking shitty like this: http://img837.imageshack.us/img837/1365/artpasslanguid50006.jpg

feedback appreciated, see you all on the other side with a fantastic 5cp in this style if I dont win!

2. Languid

Positive Ratings:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Work on final point nearing its conclusion with a few extra screenies thrown in!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Gerbil

aa Gerbil

Positive Ratings:
    Looks very nice! Love the spytech areas :)

Also, steam effect in second picture, how do?

4. re1wind

aa re1wind

Positive Ratings:
    the strange stairs in blue spawn need to be removed and replaced with standard steps. The steps around the chair need to go completely, leaving a large clutter/detail-free area in the middle of the room.

more lighting needs to be in place in many screenshots, and the this is highly underlit. easily double the light intensity without getting bloom issue imo.

5. Scotland Tom

Scotland Tom L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    Looks like things are shaping up nicely. I really like the theme; very reminiscent of Hydro - especially the outdoor areas.

For help with your prop lighting you can take a look here. Just remember the techniques in that tutorial increase compile times by a metric crapton, so don't use them until you're ready for your final compiles.

6. Mr. Happy

Mr. Happy L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    Looks nice, as for your question do an expert compile with these switches on vrad:

-both -final -textureshadows -staticproppolys -staticproplighting

-both is for LDR + HDR, -final is for higher fidelity lighting calculations, -textureshadows lets models with alpha mapped textures cast shadows from their alpha maps, -staticproppolys lets static props cast shadows from their mesh rather than from their collision hull, and -staticproplighting generates per-vertex lighting data for the model rather than using the origin to light the entire model. Some notes:

-TextureShadows (New with Source 2007)
    Generates lightmap shadows from $translucent surfaces of models (NOT brushes) that are specified in a lights file and being used with prop_static. Usually requires -StaticPropPolys to have any effect.
    Note: A surface will need a low lightmap scale for most texture shadows to be recognisable.

7. Languid

Positive Ratings:
    Wham bam thankyou mam here are some neww pictures:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

TODO:
    fix skybox fog
    place down more shrubbery
    playerclip :(
    make red spawn showerroom
    make myself lunch

8. Scotland Tom

Scotland Tom L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    Really like the idea of a giant, multi-story facility area below C. I know it won't get a ton of attention during gameplay, but adding some more stuff (props and whatnot) on the various floors would at least give those players falling to their doom something pretty to look at on the way down. But it's not super important, just something to think about if you have the time.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. IrishTaxIDriver

IrishTaxIDriver L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    I like your ideas, it looks like a cut section of hydro but a little more seedy due to the wood buildings and all the shade.

You could try to work some more angles in. Don't be afraid of them!

• Thanks Thanks x 1