Lame!

Discussion in 'Site Discussion' started by Artesia, Aug 21, 2009.

1. Artesia

Artesia L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    Banner ads that expand themselves down and require you to click a microscopic X to return them to their correct size! I just had one keep expanding itself 3 times before it stopped...

Lame!

2. DJive

aa DJive Cake or Death?

Positive Ratings:
    We do not control what shows on the ads, its an ad network. Which ad are you talking about so we can block that ad?

The army ranger one?

3. drp

aa drp

Positive Ratings:
    i havent really noticed them too often. i will see what I can do.

4. drp

aa drp

Positive Ratings:
    ok. i changed some settings to try and avoid expandables, but it should take a few minutes.

thanks.

5. Artesia

Positive Ratings:
    I think it was the army one... I don't really read them, I just look for the damned X :p
    Thanks guys ;)

6. Artesia

Positive Ratings:
    just had another one for the Taking Woodstock movie... Appears to be a rollover add, it expands when your mouse hits it, which is why it kept opening, after clicking the X I moved the mouse down to where I was trying to go in the first place... :( have to click the X then move your mouse around the side of the screen so you don't hit the damn ad again...

I would be a sponsor, but I don't trust paypal after they charged me for a bunch of stuff I didn't buy

7. Artesia

Positive Ratings:
    they've officially taken over...

I've seen the Army one, Dove chocolates, Taking Woodstock, Snickers, Orville Redenbocker popcorn... probably more those are the ones I remember

Edit: just saw one for kinder care

8. The Political Gamer

aa The Political Gamer

Positive Ratings:
    You could donate and you would never see these again. :V But if you can't I think the ads should be fixed.

9. Artesia

Positive Ratings:
    I could donate, but I don't want to open a new paypal account

10. PL-7764

PL-7764 L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    I use an ad blocker, and I've never seen any ads whatsoever, rollover or otherwise. :O Would you be able to try that?

11. Warchamp7

Warchamp7 L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    NoScript > AdBlocker

Does what AdBlocker does and more

12. Jack Riguel

Jack Riguel L10: Glamorous Member

Positive Ratings:
    I feel like some sort of renegade... running from forum to forum trying to hide from the dreaded drop down ads....

Please no... not TF2Maps.net too!

...anyways, it is sort of frustrating, especially when I'm pretty sure they're not paying the site to take up that much extra space. I'd just do it the simple way and donate but I'm currently in no position to do so because of school and extra.

13. Artesia

Positive Ratings:
    I've always been too lazy to look for and try an adblocker or noscript, but this has driven me to it. after looking at them both, I'm trying out noscript, seems to work well so far

14. Dr. ROCKZO

Dr. ROCKZO L8: Fancy Shmancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    I don't use any.. But these fecking "astrological chart" things that make noise when you mouse over them might make me have to..

Last edited: Aug 24, 2009
  15. Armadillo of Doom

aa Armadillo of Doom Group Founder, Lover of Pie

Positive Ratings:
    We do our best to keep the ads as unintrusive as possible. But please remember that these things are paying the bills ;)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. Terr

aa Terr Cranky Coder

Positive Ratings:
    My policy is to allow things and then block whenever I get something truly obnoxious... like flash ads with @%#$ing sound.

If I could, I'd allow source-based whitelisting. In other words, I'd block everything from ads.advertiser.com, except when it comes through a site I choose to support.

If only advertising networks would make it easier to block the obnoxious subset of their ads...

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. Bot190

Bot190 L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    I would block the ads, but i want to help support the site at least a little. But these expanding ads are very annoying.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  18. DJive

aa DJive Cake or Death?

Positive Ratings:
    Its something we are looking into guys.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  19. Bot190

Bot190 L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    And we thank you.

20. Jack Riguel

Jack Riguel L10: Glamorous Member

Positive Ratings:
    As I;m typing theres some ad of a kid eating a sandwhithc which means I can't even see what's here. It is rather frustrationg, but thanks for looking into it. Hopefully this is readable.