KotH Lakeside

Discussion in 'Map Showcase' started by 3Dnj, Nov 9, 2010.

1. 3Dnj

aa 3Dnj Ducks

Positive Ratings:
    Lakeside is a simple king of the hill map for team fortress 2, gameplay is classic.
    The map is a release candidate so it's a finished map but if you have some feedback to give to
    make the map better, please contact me at this adresse : 3dnj@minerality.fr.

Special thanks to :

- My friends Kane and Moroes for feedbacks and all the IHM team for the cicada sound.
    - Earkham for his stone pile models I used A LOT.
    - Heyo for the egypt theme.
    - TF2maps.net for all the feedback and playtest.
    - The mapcore community for feedbacks too.
    - The Geekzone TF2 community.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2010
  2. Mr.Blob

Mr.Blob L8: Fancy Shmancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    The "Pale Yellow" Light_environment colour is very over powering. All I see is yellow! :O

Over all it looks pretty nice. - Why did you detail it for a pre -alpha?
    -Changing layout / game play is going to be harder and more time consuming now.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. 3Dnj

aa 3Dnj Ducks

Positive Ratings:
    yeah, it's true make a base brushed version is the best way to test the gameplay... but I find this very boring ^^

4. DaBeatzProject

aa DaBeatzProject

Positive Ratings:
    I really like the darker yellow tones, Please keep them!

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  5. Acumen

aa Acumen Annoyer

Positive Ratings:
    I really really hope you get inspired by looking at some more egypt stuff and experiment a bit with the color. I don't know why, but everyone keep doing the egypt yellow thing.
    I already commented this in the wip thread but I gotta do it again ;)

It's just monononnotonous and boring colorwise outside.
    This: http://forums.tf2maps.net/geek/gars/images/2/8/8/9/koth_lakeside_a10003.jpg
    brilliant !

More and differentiated colors on the outside would greatly help it. Otherwise it's just like every other egypt styled map out there. Kinda nice in the details with the brushwork but same lighting over and over again. And I feel that's why people don't bother too much with it. Get your stuff together and make something inspiring out of the theme. So much potential - don't let it go down this way :(

There could be green in the palms in the background. Or blue with other water sources. I guess you're pretty much settled on the sky being that way, so I won't even start on that.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2010
  6. 3Dnj

aa 3Dnj Ducks

Positive Ratings:
    I will probably test some other lighting soon.

7. marnamai

marnamai L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Good mapping, but one thing bothers me, the mapname has little connection to the level and sounds too generic imo. I did a little bit of googling and came up with "tanis"

Koth_tanis
    The name is easier to remember and less generic while still related to the map (egypt, holy lake, ancient city). Maybe you don't like it, but please, lookup some old egyptian city names.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Lancey

aa Lancey Currently On: ?????

Positive Ratings:
    You should probably avoid using Egypt in symmetrical gamemodes specifically because of how one tone everything is. I can't tell what side of the map you took some of these screenshots from.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. Bermuda Cake

Bermuda Cake L9: Fashionable Member

Positive Ratings:
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. 3Dnj

aa 3Dnj Ducks

Positive Ratings:
  11. Lancey

aa Lancey Currently On: ?????

Positive Ratings:
  12. 3Dnj

aa 3Dnj Ducks

Positive Ratings:
    Actually, it'x better than nothing, but more than colored texture, I will used a lot of geometry diference and details props yo make each side diferent. but now, I just need to make a playable version :)

13. Moose

Moose L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    Personally, I hate the name lakeside. whether or not you want to keep it is up to you, obviously, but I'd definitely consider changing it.

http://www.onelook.com/?w=*%3Alake&ls=a is a tool I use a lot, it might help you find a nice name. Just replace 'lake' with some other word if you don't see anything you like.

14. matou

matou L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    Very impressive looking map, but like Moose said i don't think lakeside is a good name for it (definetly not for an egypt themed map anyways.)

15. Prestige

aa Prestige im not gay anymore

Positive Ratings:
    yeah i'd probably look into some lighting tweaks or something.

better than the name "compound" or something like that. Healing Waters? Divine Waters? IDK

16. tyler

aa tyler snail prince, master of a ruined tower

Positive Ratings:
    You need lighting tweaks and you need the team colored textures (either those or other ones).

I've spent a while getting opinions on what people like and don't like about Egypt, and most people don't like it because of the color, the symmetry issue, and how bright it gets. (Hence all my Egypt maps are at night.)

You've got ways to break it up really well, and you know the theme, but it needs to be less yellow or everyone will hate it. I think it looks really cool, but everyone will hate it. This is experience talking.

This is the easiest theme to change the layout on, even when fully detailed.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2010
  17. Scotland Tom

Scotland Tom L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    I absolutely agree. I personally think the dusty yellow fits the environment extremely well and really builds the atmosphere, but yes, people will hate it. I think a pretty simple fix for this might be to add just a bit of blue to the skybox texture. Right now the sky itself appears pretty darn yellow and if you changed it a bit it might help to ease the "holy crap it's so YELLOW!" feel.

Love how the detailing looks so far and that pool of blue water is an AMAZING area of contrast for your map. A couple more areas like that and I really think your map will have a tremendous visual impact.

EDIT: Here's a quick alteration I did to illustrate my sky suggestion:
    [​IMG]

• Thanks Thanks x 4
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2010
  18. Tinker

aa Tinker

Positive Ratings:
    One easy Google also often works for names;
    http://www.touregypt.net/featurestories/karnak14.htm

Karnak, Amun, Luxor, Thebes, Ramses, or even if you want to keep it easy and English, Scarab.

I like the offset of colours, but yeah, both sides need to be significantly different so people can recognize where they are (especially since this is symmetrical). Also make sure there's stuff in here that's not just Egyptian but also spytechy/archaeological to give the teams a reason to fight.

19. Prestige

aa Prestige im not gay anymore

Positive Ratings:
    i like the blue sky.

20. Acumen

aa Acumen Annoyer

Positive Ratings:
    Scotland Tom, that is exactly what I imagined it to be like !
    Wonderful job. That's what this map needs. You still have the strong yellows when you go into certain directions but you got the sky and the pool as contrasting points. Lovely !