Ladders

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by wiseguy149, May 14, 2009.

1. wiseguy149

wiseguy149 Emperor of Entities and Amateur of Aesthetics

Positive Ratings:
    Yes, I know ladders do not exist in TF2. However, I want to know what you guys think the best imitation of one is.

I have some ladder props that go up very high along the side of a crane. Right now, I'm using a push trigger with a high speed, but I want to know if any of you have any recommendations for how to make a ladder better.

2. AWESOME-O

AWESOME-O L10: Glamorous Member

Positive Ratings:
    The best idea is to make small brushes, that are 1 in width, and 16 in height. You can still run up to that, but i would suggesting trying to redesign the area to have a ramp.

3. Shaar

Shaar L3: Junior Member<BR>toboruin

Positive Ratings:
    well. you can step up a maximum of 18 units per step, and each step can be 0.04 units wide. so, if you make something that goes up 18, and across 0.04, you'll have a pretty nice ladder

4. Exuzu

Exuzu L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    I thought I read somewhere on here that you can use a normal ladder entity in custom maps, it's just not officially supported. Maybe I read it wrong. I don't know.

I've seen the brush variants of the ladders, and they just play really weird, so I try to avoid them. But it's certainly an option.

5. wiseguy149

Positive Ratings:
    I don't want to use the brush method because the ladder is pretty tall, but I'll try it.

6. grazr

aa grazr Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle

Positive Ratings:
    Brush method = getting up the ladder in an absurdly short amount of time and not being able to get down again as you will fall off. God damn inertia!

Best advice, shorten it, and add a ramp system going around a central pillar A frame thing holding it up. Presuming that's the sort of design you have going there.

7. Zanpa

Zanpa L4: Comfortable Member

Positive Ratings:
    Ladders are horrible in HL2DM and CS:S. They totally break the pace of the game ; and it would be even worse in TF2.
    I'm very happy they aren't used in TF2... And I'd be sad seeing a map with ladders.

8. wiseguy149

Positive Ratings:
    I guess I'll get rid of the ladder and replace it with a spiral ramp or elevator.

9. ScrappyD2o

ScrappyD2o L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Yeah you're better off with spiral ramps/stairs or a simple elevator, ladders are really ugly in tf2. Specially the brush one if you want to have it go up any fair distance, you'll always end up with a / looking thing. They're only somewhat good for very short heights and even then you're better off making a ramp or stairs.