Ladders?

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Cap'm Drummond, Apr 21, 2009.

1. Cap'm Drummond

Cap'm Drummond L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Okay, simple question.
    I want to add a ladder, but evidently func_ladders don't work in TF2.
    I've located a way to do it (building an N-shape, copying it, and moving it forward a unit for each rung), but it's kind of hacky for my tastes. Is there a better way to do it?

2. A Boojum Snark

aa A Boojum Snark Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado

Positive Ratings:
    Nah. The only way is the tiny steep stairs (I think that's what you're doing). But they are generally a bother to use.

3. The Political Gamer

aa The Political Gamer

Positive Ratings:
    Ladders are a pain to build in the first place, at least for me. (nub mapper) I try to use ramps whenever possible.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2009
  4. Altaco

Altaco L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    Just use stairs/ramps, valve have specifically stated that ladders in tf2 don't work very well.

5. medd

medd L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    If you're shooting for a professional made map, then please don't use ladders. If you're going to make a map and shoot for a custom look or something, then you'll have to settle for the one unit over method :(

6. eerieone

aa eerieone

Positive Ratings:
    ladders are not an elegant way, nor do they look good or realistic when a heavy with minigun in both hands climbs them without letting go of the gun
    plz try to use stairs/ramps

7. MadMax

MadMax L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    ladders are fine to use if there made properly and look fine, ive made quite a few ladders and they look fine and blend in with the map.
    i have a prefab of a ladder i have made and works fine , the only thing with making ladders in TF2 is they have to be on a slight angle and also the sides of the ladder has to be , "func_brush" and "not solid" for it to work properly..

even a professinoal looking map can use ladders if the mapper wishes , even thou all good maps dont use them doesnt mean to say you cant make a blinding good looking map and have working ladders in them.

if you want the prefab then give me a shout or what ever.

**Edit**

ill upload it here

can resize or change the hole thing completely tis up to you just make sure both sides of the ladder as i said above are "func_brush" and "not solid" also on a slight angle , same as in prefab

if when you use the prefab and its all grouped , ungroup the hole ladder..

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Vigilante212

Vigilante212 L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
  9. TehSeph

TehSeph L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    A tad unrealistic, seeing as how the sides can be shot through, but VERY useful. I was just reading a tut on this sort of thing, but decided to use yours instead. lol.

10. Cap'm Drummond

Cap'm Drummond L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Hm.
    Well, I've decided to just use a moving platform instead.
    It's a bit out of place, but I think the overall functionality is better this way. It's worth the tradeoff.

11. Sgt Frag

Sgt Frag L14: Epic Member

Positive Ratings:
    I generally don't dig ladders either. I put some in my sniper map, but that's a sniper map.

But I did it the same way Vig posted. Use a ladder model or make one with brushes that looks good, set it non-solid. Do the 1 unit stairs with player clip. But that's only if you are making a sniper map ;)