L4D2 has disappointed me

Dr. Spud

Grossly Incandescent
aa
Mar 23, 2009
I've come to the conclusion that L4D2 is a really bad game. Why?

First of all, there's the fact that I've never (ever) played an 8 player game where everyone had a good ping. For some reason Valve provides us with ultra-slow servers that seemingly only give good pings to players within the same city. Games with strangers who can't work together, then rage quit every round are bad enough. But add horrible servers to that, where half the players have 150+ pings, and it's useless to try and play pick up games.

I've found that it's a game only worth playing if you can find 8 friends to play at the same time. That used to happen when the game was new, but nowadays I just can't do it. And even if I could, 50% of the time, the rented server my friends tried to play on didn't connect properly, and we were stuck with the default servers.

What's the use of a game that I can't turn on and, you know, play. Today I made it my goal to play L4D2 and have fun. But I literally couldn't do it. That's just sad.

Last edited:

MrAlBobo

L13: Stunning Member
Feb 20, 2008
welcome to the club :D

but yeah...i don't know, i never really enjoyed l4d2

Shmitz

Old Hat
aa
Nov 12, 2007
I've not been disappointed, at least not in the same way as you, because I went into both versions of L4D expecting pub play to be terrible. I've played both only in friends-only games, and the majority of the time they're pretty enjoyable. You have to have a sizable group dedicated to playing frequently to get any long-term mileage out of versus mode though. Barring that, even coop campaigns can last you a long time if you have three other friends who're willing to challenge themselves to an expert campaign every week.

Dr. Spud

Grossly Incandescent
aa
Mar 23, 2009
I've not been disappointed, at least not in the same way as you, because I went into both versions of L4D expecting pub play to be terrible. I've played both only in friends-only games, and the majority of the time they're pretty enjoyable. You have to have a sizable group dedicated to playing frequently to get any long-term mileage out of versus mode though. Barring that, even coop campaigns can last you a long time if you have three other friends who're willing to challenge themselves to an expert campaign every week.

I used to play both games with a regular group of people in versus mode. And yes, it was very fun. I don't have any gripes with the gameplay, I just wish I could actually get to it. I played a ton of L4D1 friends-only, but the group couldn't hold together for very long in L4D2. It got to the point where, particularly because of the server issues, it was an enormous amount of work to set up a good match. So naturally, they stopped.

Last edited:

Tinker

aa
Oct 30, 2008
Really? I've been playing with 4 people in both team and pub versus for a while, and it's indeed not very often there's noone with 100+ ping (although it's usually someone torrenting or whatever), but I almost never get truly bad servers. Did you set your maxping in the startup options?

Feb 14, 2008
I want to play Left 4 Dead 2... but nobody ever plays it. I want to spend an evening playing Scavenge (which thus far I've played about 3 times), or Versus with my friends... but they're all doing impromptu map tests or making maps or playing BC2.

It's not a bad game, and bad ping isn't exactly Valve's fault. I just wish people would start playing it. Perhaps the Passing will help here - when Crash Course was released I remember an enjoyable week of playing Versus.

Freyja

aa
Jul 31, 2009
I've played one scavenge. No one ever plays anything but campaign in Australia. At least you have friends you can actually play with, all my friends are american.

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
I got vote banned from most L4D servers. No idea why, i wasn't exactly getting killed all the time, and i certainly wasn't doing so well that i could have been suspected of hacking/cheating.

The attitude of L4D players completely puzzles me.

I was dissapointed with L4D, and the reply value was lost on me. So i guess in the end, as an individual, i did seriously boycott L4D2. Now, X months down the road i have not heard a nice thing about it from people who have had it.

Jimmy

L420: High Member
Jul 6, 2009
I love L4D2, but Im plagued with the worst bug known to man. On about a 1/3 of non valve servers I will crash at the motd image. I dont have a clue why, same now happens in l4d, It didnt before l4d2.... It is such a pain. I can play other source games fine in multiplayer, and other engines but l4d just gets pissy with me and says: "No I don't want you to play scavenge with your friends or anything for that matter, go play singleplayer you tard!"

I hate the game because of it :(

Inqwel

L6: Sharp Member
Jun 2, 2008
I can't say I have been disappointed in L4D2 as much as you guys, then again, I find TF2 a little more frustrating to play in comparison.

In the L4D2, I only opt to play the realism mode more than I play Versus and Scavenge.
I avoid expert mode like a plague, if I can help it. The trouble with that difficult setting is the easier allowance of grieving for those wandering trolls that come to call. They love expert mode cause its only a few shots before killing a player.

When I love versus mode, and I do love being able to spit acid on players, its most likely those servers that for player numbers to go beyond the 4v4. I'm talking ones that allow 14, 16, 20, or even the rare 32. At those numbers you can't take the game as seriously as say a 4vs4.

I'm really hoping that come "The Passing", and this rumored new game mode would allow 8vs8 games.

EDIT: If anyone is interested, TF2maps's sister site L4Dmaps has a new Community Project in the works.

Last edited: