koth_steelwing

KotH koth_steelwing b1

Texlow

L1: Registered
Jul 25, 2016
koth_steelwing - Plane drops bomb that goes boom!

Oh look, I did a thing.

Yup, my first map ever to be created, a war themed koth map with a gimmick twist!

The Gimmick: everytime the control point is captured, a plane will fly over the map and drop a bomb onto the point, blowing up all those who have recently captured and not paying attention!

13833399_1104818442930815_463019733_o (1).jpg

All done within the 72 hour jam's timeline. Made in the World war theme with the use of Frontline's prop-pack and with thanks to ABS's Mappers Resource pack. This map wouldn't have been possible without my girlfriend, Isabelle ( http://steamcommunity.com/id/Isabellone/ ) as she was the one who designed the initial map's layout and was heavily involved with decoration of the map. A big shoutout and a big thank you to her!

oh and my steam page is: http://steamcommunity.com/id/69669969/ :D

Vel0city

func_fish
aa
Dec 6, 2014
I really need to learn how to pakrat properly :s

Read the rest of this update entry...
Don't use Pakrat, it's outdated as balls. Use VIDE or CompilePal. The former works but you have to do all the work (except for scanning the files which VIDE does for you), CompilePal does it all automatically (and doesn't care where the custom content is located within the tf folder) AND it compiles the map for you.

Actually, use CompilePal. It's way better.

Jul 6, 2015
The name of the file is koth_steelwing, please include the version number in the file name. ex: koth_normanndy_b1

Also, I love the idea of the plane bombing the point, but you need some kind of warning, and limit the blast raduis to the objective.

Layout wise, you need more room between the spawns and the point, its a quick 5 second walk from spawn to the point.

Texlow

L1: Registered
Jul 25, 2016
As a noob to mapping and this community, may I ask why I have to also include the version number in the map's name when the tf2 maps download already presents the map's current version number anyway? Would be helpful to know

Glad you enjoyed the plane gimmick And although I do agree with having some type of warning before the bomb blows up I also don't want to give capturers too much leeway time to run off. I was thinking of maybe a loud siren or announcer saying warning but couldn't find the correct .wavs etc.

I understand what you mean with the layout, it is on the small/simple side but that's how I was aiming for as my first attempt at making a map, especially within 72hours. Didn't want to bite more than I could chew :)

Thank you for the feedback! Will definitely be taking them into account once I go onto mapping something more ambitious

Jul 6, 2015
As a noob to mapping and this community, may I ask why I have to also include the version number in the map's name when the tf2 maps download already presents the map's current version number anyway? Would be helpful to know
If you upload the same map file, people will download the same map twice, and it would not allow them to join the server if its running either version.

Its also good to keep track of versions in hammer, to see what changes you made in the VMF's from say a1>a2