• Center Save Changes Reset

KotH koth_shantytown A6

Standard KOTH map.

1. Danny Dorito

Danny Dorito L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    koth_shantytown (ALPHA) - Small, compact, and standard KOTH map.

Not much of a shanty town, really...

This is the first alpha release of this map, and my first legitimate mapping project. If you have any comments or criticisms about the map, please make sure to let me know.

2. The Letter Before A

The Letter Before A Cool Idiot

Positive Ratings:
    Imma test this tommorrow
    Ill give feed back then

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. MatHatesNova

MatHatesNova L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Looks great from the screenshots. I will try this out once I'm able to and let you know what I think.

4. The Letter Before A

Positive Ratings:
    CC-
    Change colors on each side for easy distinction.
    Increase room size (image 3)
    20160810083344_1.jpg 20160810083352_1.jpg 20160810083402_1.jpg 20160810083441_1.jpg

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. TMB

TMB Banned

Positive Ratings:
    Looks even better that my maps...

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. The Letter Before A

Positive Ratings:
    Also you should consider making mid larger and having buildings (enterable) surrounding it.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. MatHatesNova

MatHatesNova L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    I thought it looked great, where those 2 health packs were under the stairs I was kinda unsure about that but it seems you changed it, I think the sniper cover could use more cover incase there's another sniper on the enemy team and you can bounce between cover.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Danny Dorito

Positive Ratings:
    Thanks for the feedback, I'll take it into consideration when making the second version.

9. Danny Dorito

Positive Ratings:
    I realized that as I further developed this map, it became less of a shanty town; but the name stuck.

Thanks to both 'The Letter Before A' and 'ManHatesNova' for their helpful suggestions and criticisms about the first version of the map.

Based on their suggestions, I expanded the battlements and added more cover for snipers. The middle corridor leading to the battlements has also been widened.

I made the corresponding teams' sides more easily distinguishable by adding team-colored props and signs to the map (like the billboard seen above).

A large point of this update is that the control point is now encased in a building, with an opening on top for ambushing the enemy from above. On the sides of the point are small half-shacks with small ammo boxes.

Below the point, the medium health pack room has alcoves on the sides with some crates for cover, making it a great spot for sentry nests.

The spawn room now has prop doors, and all important areas in the map are labeled with signs like resupply, capture zone, and battlements.

The battlements now have shipping containers in front of them, that happen to be great spots for mini sentries.

Besides a few bug fixes and expanding the skybox to accommodate for taller buildings, that's the update! Be sure to post your comments or criticisms. If you're interested in doing a play-testing session, please ask. I'm looking into setting up a server and a time for play-testing this map with a full server of people. Au revoir.

Read the rest of this update entry...

10. RataDeOrdenador

RataDeOrdenador L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    MAYBE move that container a little bit so people can get behind it from both directions? If you try to build a sentry nest there,or you're simply hiding,you're basically dead. Because you don't have any other way to leave besides the path YOU took and the enemy is taking to chase you.

Also,try to be more original with the CP. I'm not saying it's bad. Actually the opposite,but I think there's too many "CP inside a building with a small and convenient roof to sneak inside." If you want to make one of those shanty towns,how about you try something with the Construction Pack? Maybe that can help you getting some good ideas for the CP,and maybe everything else. Who knows?

Other than that,it looks rather nice. If you haven't,you should upload the map into the impromptu,in the Steam Group chat,or in the Gameday. You'll definetly get tons of feedback there. :)

• Like Like x 1
  11. Danny Dorito

Positive Ratings:
    This update doesn't feature many changes in terms of gameplay, but instead, I give you a visual overhaul.

The outer walls and outdoor floor brushwork have been replaced by displacements. I have also replaced all of the dev textures with real textures, although I have kept the brushwork simple.

I have moved around and replaced the health and ammo packs, as seen in these screenshots (there are small health packs on the sides of the point):

The spawnrooms now have more props, as seen below:

I have moved the shipping container forward on both sides of the map, so that you can access the area from both sides, making it a better sentry spot.

Other screenshots:

Finally, I would like thank RataDeOrdenador for his suggestions and recommending that I enter my map in the gameday. My map did not make it into the most recent one, but I'm waiting for the next gameday to submit my map. Au revoir.

• Like Like x 1
  12. RataDeOrdenador

Positive Ratings:
    You don't have to wait for the gameday to occur. You can just add your map into the impromptu via Steam Group chat bot,and if there's enough maps (there's always 95% of the time) they'll start testing them all. Then you can see all the feedback and even download a demo from here.

I can do it right now if you want. Also,you don't actually have to be in the impromptu (although it would be nice) since you have that demo video I talked about before.

13. Danny Dorito

Positive Ratings:
  14. RataDeOrdenador

Positive Ratings:
    Simply go to the Steam group and type:

!add "map name (in this case koth_shantytown)" "download URL (in this case https://tf2maps.net/downloads/koth_shantytown.2471/download?version=5261)" "notes" (used if you have something important about the map,like it's has a custom gamemode,or there's problems already solved,or a version you're using just to test something. You know,big stuff)

Everything without the "",of course. then you can type !maps to see how many maps are waiting to be tested.

You can also talk to everyone in there. You know,we're actual people. D;

15. Danny Dorito

Positive Ratings:
    After a long hiatus, I have decided to start working on this map again. Hoorah!

In hindsight, some this issues with the map were quite blaring. It was simply too open. With this update, I added a lot more cover to focus the action in the central area and to prevent the map from becoming sniper heaven, and I found this tighter design approach significantly helped the map's overall gameplay. I'm hoping to get this map tested with a full server soon to get some real feedback.

Roll the screenshots!

16. Danny Dorito

Positive Ratings:
  17. Danny Dorito

Positive Ratings:

-Added fences around control point to make it easier to hold
    -Removed some of the storage containers on the sides of the point
    -Sped up the capture rate
    -Increased the size of the capture area to fill the whole house

-Removed and redid some cover, most notably the battlements

-Widened the hole in the roof of the control point house

I'd like to thank everyone on the TF2 Maps server who gave me feedback
    I3green
    Thanks, Dad
    Umaroth-24
    - ̗̀fuzzymellow ̖́-
    Doktor Richter
    Blank

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  18. Danny Dorito

Positive Ratings:

-Reverted back to the original hole in the roof to avoid demos spamming stickies onto the battlements
    - Heightened the fences around the point to avoid demos spamming stickies onto the battlements

-Added the side-rooms around the point, which contain small ammo and health packs

Lastly, I would like to thank everyone once again for their feedback on the previous version. Even if your suggestion was not implemented, please know it has been taken into consideration. Some of the suggestion I plan to implement in later versions.

sevin
    Blank
    I3green
    Ooooooooo, I'm Bob Dylan
    ProfHappycat
    turtleboy666
    _Blamo