KotH koth_sacrificial rc1

An entry for the TF2 Mayann Mapping Project

1. Da Knight

Da Knight L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    koth_sacrificial - An entry for the TF2 Mayann Mapping Project

The team sumble upon some Mayan ruins, could the treasure they're searching for be inside?

My submission for Valves Mayann Project. This map includes textures that cannot be seen without the texture and model pack from: http://tf2maps.net/threads/mayan-aztec-assets.27591/

Credit to:
    wasap47 - Play Testing

2. zahndah

aa zahndah professional letter

Positive Ratings:
    A; it looks really dark, when a map is too dark it can become hard to tell who is on which team and whatnot. I would suggest brightening the fires and making their light not so orange (as that can also make it hard to tell teams).

B; instead of having the map not work without downloading a pack, you should pack the content into your map so people can see it anyways
    here is a guide on how to do this: http://tf2maps.net/threads/vide-a-how-to.21661/

C; it would appear you just got 1 person running around it saying opinions as all your playtesting, if so then that isnt a great way to go about it. It could mean that this map works well in theory but in reality it is too cramped / scaled badly or something.

To get your map tested with a server of players, you have two options. Go into the steam group chat (there is a link on the right side of the homepage for it) and type '!add [map file name] [map download url]' to add it to the list of maps that we will play in improptu testing sessions (these can happen whenever really)

Alternatively, you can add it to a scheduled gameday event. This is where we test a selected group of maps which are submitted through a submission thread. You can find the submission threads in the 'server events' subforum here: http://tf2maps.net/forums/server-events.35/

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Crowbar

aa Crowbar perfektoberfest

Positive Ratings:
    Layout looks rather like a maze, IDK.

4. Muddy

Server Staff Muddy Muddy

Positive Ratings:
    Just wanna point out quickly that the Mayann Project isn't by Valve, it's a community project.

5. Da Knight

Positive Ratings:
    Yes I know this, but I thought I had read that valve was picking up on this.

6. Da Knight

Positive Ratings:
    The layout is very easy to understand with just one playthrough

7. Skullio

Skullio L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    I was going to suggest keeping the nice orangey glows but adding very light yellow/neutral lights around to brighten it up. Or put more holes in the ceilings to let more skybox light in.

It does look a little bit confusing to navigate as mentioned, mainly because its grey bricks on bricks on bricks. I think adding team colours to differentiate each side would definitely help with this, even if it's just a little bit of trim or team coloured features here and there.

I really like the temple theme

8. Jekyllson

Jekyllson L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    After you tighten up the gameplay, I would recommend using a few custom assets and/or textures to make the map really stand out from the Egyptian maps as much more obviously Mayan. In particular, the obelisk looks incredibly generic, and instantly reminds me of the ones on Lakeside, which you'll really want to differentiate your map from as another archaeological site-themed KotH map. Also, I (and a lot of players, I'm guessing) strongly associate both those torch models and that wall texture with Egypt's spawns, and the last thing you want your map to do is remind people of Egypt.

9. Da Knight

Positive Ratings:
    Thanks, I have found that it is difficult to differentiate team sides so I do plan on adding team colors and other things. Also, I have made many holes in the ceiling to let light in so that I could make the map brighter but I found that wasn't enough so I added white lights which do make it look a lot better.