koth_rust

KotH koth_rust a2

Aeix

L3: Member
Feb 14, 2016
koth_rust - Now with 10% more rust!

It's here! Finally! My very first map (that's actually in a playable state)...
Introducing: Koth_Rust!
--------------------------------------------
Rust is a koth map, that I managed to bang out in about 3 days. Respawn time is set at 6 seconds, and cap time is set also at 6 seconds. Point is done in a similar style to cp_gorge's first point, but with more cover and flanks.
koth_rust_a10002.jpg
koth_rust_a10006.jpg
koth_rust_a10004.jpg
koth_rust_a10003.jpg

Story: Some time after the death of Zephaniah Mann, Red and Blu set up bases in various areas around the Badlands, some of which were forgotten when they went off to fight the over more important things, like a pit of gravel, and a bowl of dust. Now, Red and Blu hear that someone has developed a new building, on a hill between their old, rusty bases. Naturally, both teams decide that the best course of action is to take the new building for themselves!
Enjoy :)

Last edited:

Aeix

Feb 14, 2016
Looks pretty good for your first map! I will mention that the name Rust has been taken by a payload map which has already reached RC, but it's up to you whether to change it.
Thanks for notifying me... I will *attempt* to think up a new name :p

Aeix

Feb 14, 2016
So, I've been using this guide here to prepare my map for a gameday. Hopefully, I can finish all I need to do to prepare it for a gameday this weekend, so I should be able to get it into a gameday next weekend.
What I've done:
-added signs around the map so (hopefully!) everyone can navigate the map 100% easier
-added patches as overlays underneath health and ammo packs so people know where they will respawn
-added 3 new pictures, including 2 overview pictures (one using cl_leveloverview and one without)
-all previous pictures now outdated :(

Read the rest of this update entry...

Aeix

Feb 14, 2016
Once again, continuing on the preparation for a gameday:

-Threw a load of nodraw around the map
-Closed in the skybox - it's now no longer a big blue box around the map
-Added clipping on top of the buildings so that you can no longer get up to places you aren't meant to be
-Made the skybox really tall. Really tall.
-Added a couple more signs to help players navigate even better

I did also run this map with 32 bots (sorry!) to see how much spam resulted from having 32 players around the central area. I have to say, I felt pretty pleased with the result, there wasn't too much space, and yet everyone fitted in nicely.
Here are those two overview pictures I mentioned earlier (one with cl_leveloverview and one without):
CRrWRcx.jpg

ddFdiR7.jpg

Aeix

Feb 14, 2016
I figured I hadn't told you guys anything about this - this map was sitting around gathering dust, so I may as well spill the beans.
I am currently doing a pretty big (height only) overhaul to the connecting areas outside Red and Blu spawn due to a ramp being to steep. Because it is a load of height changes, it is quite complicated to factor it into all the pathways and generally reproduce the same look I was happy with... 64/128 units higher.
Anyway, I haven't been able to update this map for several pressing reasons, but rest assured - an update IS on it's way... even if it does take several weeks to arrive :)

Fruity Snacks

Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums
aa
Sep 5, 2010
As a fair warning, you might catch some flak for using the name rust, as I've been using it for my PL map for a while (like, years)

I don't care if you use it, because you're a KotH map and mine is a PL map. If anyone gives you flak for it though, you can refer back to this post.

Aeix

Feb 14, 2016
I don't care if you use it, because you're a KotH map and mine is a PL map. If anyone gives you flak for it though, you can refer back to this post.
Thanks a lot man, I really appreciate this.
I was actually alerted to this earlier, but couldn't think of a suitable alternative name + story that would work with how I planned to further develop the map. :/
Thanks a lot though! :)

Zed

Certified Most Crunk™
aa
Aug 7, 2014
just name it koth_aeix

It's an alpha map. It's probably not worth naming an actual name anyways.